Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to diesels--milage question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rwright07, Sep 19, 2006.

1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

oook heres the deal
    im buying an 84k5 w/ a 6.5 turbo diesel (banks sidewinder), th400, np205, 14FF 4.11 gears w/ 37" SSers (80% w. spare)

what kind of milage can i expect to get from this truck?

its got a disk brake conversion and detroit locker, 6in lift (BDS springs front, 3in BDS rear w/ shackle flip), 3/4 ton dana44 w/ flattop knuckles and highsteer, new gears all round ok body w/out rust, bedlined interior, custon bumpers front and rear

what do you all think its worth? (tell me b4 i tell you wat im paying to see if i got an ok deal)

thanks all

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

You'd better get 15, closer to 20. The 400 isn't the best for mileage:( If it had an overdrive, like a 700r4, I'd go 20+ mpg.

I'm building mine very similar with a 700 and shooting for 25 mpg:bow::bow:

Sounds like a very nice build but as for price? What? are you nutz:rolleyes::doah::haha:

NO PICS? A 6.5? When & how was the swap done? Who did the rebuild? Engine miles? Intercooler added? Mechanical or Electronic Injection Pump? Need much more info.

Probably at least worth $4,000 in parts, possibly $10,000 maybe $15,000 if "restored."

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The truck he is taking about was posted on here for $4500 or something like that. Also listed on craigslist and another local website or two. I think the price for the truck was pretty fair considering the work put into it.

I'm not sure what to say for mileage. I'd guess 15 mpg should be easy to get.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The TH400 is a mileage killer and a power hungry beast. Add the turbo and I'd wager you won't see more than 15 mpg...

Rene

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Turbo alone isn't a mileage killer, its turning up the fuel and/or putting your foot into it all the time to feel the power that will kill the mileage.

6. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

i got the truck for 3500 bucks... well kinda... i put 800 down n now i gotta sell mine so i can get him the rest. i didnt think i could beat the deal
    not sure about the mech. or elec. pumps il call him. it has no intercooler and the engine has about 50k on the rebuild and like 20 on the banks system he said.

ps i thought turbos get better than a naturally asperated diesel?
    yea i got it for 3500 and way long ago it was originally listed for 4800 so im pretty sure i got about the lowest price he would give it away for. everything on the truck mechanically was clean from the looks of it. even the hardware was shiny and new
    haha

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Who can resist listening to the turbo whine some? :D

Rene

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well in theory if you are comparing apples to apples yes the Turbo get's better mileage, but you are getting more power instead of less gas.
    You can still stay with the same mileage and get more power if you don't have a lead foot.
    I was getting 30MPG from my turbo Diesel then I got power hungry and started getting 20MPG just like that.
    High RPM's with WOT will eat up fuel.
    With the Turbo it's so much easier to rev it up.
    :haha: :bow: