Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to forum with a boat load a questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by matp, Apr 16, 2004.

1. matp

matp Newbie

Hiya folks,
    My name is Mat Price and I am a 4x4aholic…… I am new here just signed up today. I don’t have anything but a 2004 dodge quad cab Dakota at the moment but have always had big mud rides never a Chevy though. Ford and Dodge was my poison and I was looking at building another Ram charger but I decided I didn’t want all the head aches of finding parts ect. And never built a k-5 blazer before ( although I did build a pretty cool s10 jimmy as a DD/puddle jumper once) so I am starting the research part now since I won’t finish nursing school for anther two years I won’t be able to buy anything for at least that long. (STOP laughing men can be nurses to especially in the trauma/ER department and it is a stepping stone to med school) I just like the fact that k-5s are so popular and that parts are very easy to come by. So what I was thinking was a early to mid 80’s model with some work done it already maybe lift and tires. That I could have some fun with via axle swaps and engine builds.

First question of many is can 1 ton axles be swapped under or Dana 60/70s and what steering mods need to made ect. And where is a good online source of reading about this swap. Also what motor options are available for instance if the truck has a 700r tyranny can big blocks such ass 454 ect go in such a ring I am really new to big cheveys I had a 440 in my dodge and man it was strong.

PS can’t spell or write very well must be my Mississippi upbringing even though I dwell in beautiful Gwinnett county Georgia now

Mat

2. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. welcome to our humble abode. I'm sure some of the more qualified "techies" will answer your question.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Welcome , you will find many answers and friends here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif As for motors, most Chevy made engines have the same bellhousing pattern, exceptions are some cars and diesel trucks in the 80's. 1 ton axles are what most of the members here run, the rest of us get by on 1/2 tons. You can do crossover steering and lift it with the parts of the vendors here. Take a moment to look at the links to ORD etc on the main index page. Welcome and ask away /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Hers a good start since your an orange member Tech index

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif You will find an over abundace of info on just about /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif or /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif ever made by GM here.

Gwinnette county is a beautiful place! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Welcome /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Oh man, you've come to the right place. Take a while reading through the old posts and you'll find EVERYTHING you want to know, and if not, ask away. Can't help you on the 700R4 question, but lots of members are running 1 ton axles, and also lots are running big blocks.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    PS can’t spell or write very well

[/ QUOTE ]
    No worry's there we can all speak Z3PRese thanx to Paul.
    Welcome aboard. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Welcome, sounds like you got a good idea where to start on the rig,

Like Steve and the others said, here is where you will find at least 90% of the info you need anything else you either don't need or someone here can and will point you in the right direction.

These guys rock here! I've saved a bunh of money and committed a lot more to my truck since I started hanging out here, and I've learned a lot from these guys too! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status