Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to K-5 Blazers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Carlos O, Oct 1, 2000.

1. Carlos O

Carlos O Registered Member

Hi,
    My name is Carlos and I just recently fell in love with off-roading. Last week,my friend and I went off-roading in his 95' Silverado with new 31" BF Goodrich All-Terrain Tires. I loved it as well as he. However, I don't have a car or truck. I was looking in the internet and I came across the K-5 blazer. They are awesome. Now, I want one and I noticed that they are relatively inexpensive. But, I have some questions. First, how reliable are the blazers on and off the road? Are they a gas hog? Are they somewhat easy to maintain and if not, are the repairs expensive? Please tell me anything you feel I should know about these cool trucks. Thanks.

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Welcome Carlos.. Charles here..
    Blazers are very addicting.. as you will learn on this site. As for your questions, they are gas hogs.. but well worth it. Nothing like driving a big beast of a Blazer or Jimmy.
    I prefer the 69 thru 91 Full size Blazers because of the solid axle up front. And they are very reliable on-offroad trucks. I had my 89 K1500 Jimmy SLE and it had over 185,000 miles on it, never broke down, never burned a drop of oil. Only had to replace the air conditioning around 145,000 miles. And a few transfer case seals.
    So if you can find one.. check it over completely.. Any questions you have, POST THEM HERE !!! All your questions will be answered.
    Again.. Welcome.

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Well said Rocko, Just take your time and you should be able to find a nice K5. I like 87-91 simply because of the tbi. Just my .02 HAVE A NICE DAY. oh yah, check out all the websites, you can see some killer rigs.

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

4. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I bought my 91 Blazer a month or so ago for $5000. It came from the factory fully loaded with all the bells and whistles and is in almost showroom cond. Its not the Gas Hog I thought it would be at around 15MPG. I had an 82 Toyota modified for rockcrawling. With the gearing 5.29 and 35's I only got 16MPG with a modified engine also. It can't compare to the extra 4 cylinders the 350 has. Now about the MPG after the mods I plan to do to the Blazer I'll have to see.

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

You can always get a diesel. You'll get around 20 mpg and the engine will last for 300,000 miles if its properly taken care of. It does have less HP and is slower then a 350 but you have lots of torque with the diesel. Towing is good, acceleration isn't too good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

6. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

You might also want to add that Diesel repairs are a bit higher, but well worth it because it will go well over 300 with the proper keep up.

I forogt who told me but "When you get your K5 you will have this sucking sound inside you back pocket of all your money going away." The sound isn't for repairs and such...its for "Wow...that looks cool...I'm gonna put that on" and after that a few times you are BROKE....
    Laters

SK-15

J**P...Its what's for dinner

http://s10-4x4.coloradok5.com

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Hey Carlos,

Eddie here. I am only 18 and working on a college budget. I have an 88, all original drivetrain, with a 6" lift and 35x16x15 boggers. Right now gas is about 10 mpg. New projects are gears(which wont come til christmas). They dont eat you up too bad just dont let you money get away from you. Only do what you can with the money you have. You will have plenty of time to do the rest.

Good luck.

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?