Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to K5 Team YoungTown AZ

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by skrillla, Apr 13, 2007.

1. skrillla

skrillla Registered Member

hey guys instead of posting pics again here is the thread :)
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204763

i would like to lift it up higher and im looking for any advice its a 89 blazer 5.7 v8 with flowmaster 2 into 1 4 inch lift 33 inch tires, very clean got it for pretty cheap and the tranny was rebuilt before it was mine. i have no idea what gears or how to find out but thats why im here :) if u know of anything i need to help in 4x4ing let me know thanks alot

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is my guess as to your drivetrain.

89-91 year (from grill)
    350 V8 TBI fuel injection
    700R4 trans
    NP241 tcase
    10bolt 30 spline axles with ? gears.

Check inside your glovebox for the options codes. Sometime in the options list it will tell you what gears you have and if you have a govlock (G80).

How big of tires do you want and what kind of wheeling do you plan to do? There are not alot of westside guys but there are a few here. I will be a westsider again in a few months when I move back to AZ. I am buying a house at 67th & Peoria.

Most people here in AZ rockcrawl to some degree. Some guys are into the fireroading and other stuff too but most are into heavy rockcrawling.

Take a look around and see what it is you plan to do with your truck. Once you have an idea of what you want to do with your truck then you can get a plan to help in your building of your truck.

Right off the bat I would recommend a external tranny cooler to help keep your 700R4 happy and cool.

Harley

3. rhino105amx

rhino105amx 1/2 ton status

Welcome, and come out this weekend for the meet and greet.

4. skrillla

i would like to have maby 38's or 40's i dont do any 4x4ing atm but would love to do some mild rock crawling and/or other 4x4 ing i would still want to be able to drive it i dont want to go all out and only use it on the weekend but i still want some nice 4x4ing stuff on it, the last owner says it has dayna front and back gears but is there a way to know for sure without opening it up? it drives real nice the stearing is real easy like exessive wheel play.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Even if you get all new steering components , old vehicles has slop . It is called recirculating ball steering . No where near the rack and pinions most vehicles today have .

As for 38's or 40's , the axles you have may not like them . Most of the guys here who really wheel in AZ have 35-37 inch tires , and a couple of the tube buggy truck guys run 38-42's , but those guys have beefy parts and/or light junk ( see marv_springer ) .

For light wheeling your truck looks fine on 4 inches , just needs some 35's and some lockers , but thats my opinion .

Since you want to do some light weekend wheeling , come out first and see if you like it . I am assuming you will love it . Saturday night , or Sunday morning , just come :waytogo:

6. bigdave1050

bigdave1050 1/2 ton status

Nice truck

This is a great palce when it comes to info and people. Welcome.

7. Disturban

Disturban 1/2 ton status

Welcome! I'm in west phx.Lots of info here,you're in good hands :)

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the jumping off point to meeting some of the best folks to be found anywhere!! The wheeling season is winding down but the fabbing season is beginning.

Looking for the silver lining, ya know.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What wheeling season winding down ? I have decided I am not missing some wheeling and fishing this summer , like before I met everyone here ...........

.......... I do have working climate control and winders that roll up :pimp:

10. Hossbaby50

Your one of the few that still do. :D

Harley

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

My windows still roll up on the truggy.

12. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Hi, I already replied on your other thread, but wanted to give you an official welcome. If you are going for a daily driver with some mild wheelin' you could check out my thread. I'm going to have 35" with a 4"lift (TCI springs + DIY4X shackle flip). I have almost aquired all my parts so I'll be starting pretty soon. It's a pretty typical set up around here.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203093

This forum has been the single most valuable source of info and learning I've found on the net, or anywhere for that matter. If you learn how to search and aren't afraid to spend a little time you can find out anything you want to know about our rigs.

13. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Matt,

I got yours still roll up for you!!!!! :wink1: :wink1: :wink1: :D :D :D

Dreamer, !!!!!!

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

They may be in my dad's back yard, and I may not have a windshield but they do roll up!! :D

15. skrillla

I have an external Trans and Oil cooler installed, just wondering is the oil cooler stock? also i did some rocky hills and did some pretty good flexing over at tablemesa rd over the weekend my 33's actually rubbed and went through some water door height. i think im going to stay with the 4 inch lift it did realy well but another problem ive been having is the 4x4 pops out somtimes ... both wheels are locked in place too.

16. Hossbaby50

Oil coolers came on K5's with tow packages I think. My 85 has one from the factory. Most K5's have built in tranny coolers inside the radiator but that is not enough if you have a 700R4 trans. You need to add a large external cooler to help keep them cool and happy. A big tranny cooler is way cheaper then a rebuild. My last rebuild cost me $1600, my tranny cooler costs $60. I run 2 coolers on my truck. I have to external coolers mounted infront of my radiator to help keep mine cool. A gauge is a good idea too. Crawlin my temps don't get above 160*. If I am floggin it I can get to 210* then I stop floggin it.

Harley