Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to K5's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5silverado05, May 26, 2001.

1. K5silverado05

K5silverado05 Registered Member

New to K5\'s

Hi, im almost 16 and i have decided for my first vehicle i want a k5 73'-91', but i have a lot of questions about them. I have read this entire site so i know some stuff, but i was wondering if anyone knew the answers to some of my un-answered questions. im going to just list them because there are so many:

anyone have interior pictures showing a k5, i wanna see like the complete dash and maybe and overhead view with the top off?

What does it take to take the top on and off?

would a cadillac escalade 5.3 liter engine bolt in, might know someone who wrecked and its still ok (sorry if that is completely stupid idea, but 345 hp and 320 ft lbs of torque, i like)?

i heard you can lift a k5 for less than 300$, im looking at a 4" suspensions with 3" body, whats the best combo or how can i fit 35/12.5 BFG Muds?

where can i find new seats, i think im gonna buy a beater to fully fix up, and i may need new seats?

what is the best year of the k5? i might be able to get a running (not sure how good) 1977 k5 with a 350 for 1200, this good?

what am i looking at for a complete restoration in cost, approx?

what is this rear shackle flip reverse business?

how much approx for a complete paint job, one solid color?

how much does the removable top weigh?

any websites that list every single specidication, like even the width of the dash from door to door?

anyone know of any better looking door panels, i am not that fond of the stock ones?

anyone know anything about dakota digital gauges and dash systems, they look nice?

how about replacing the front clip to the 89'-91' style, what will that cost in time and money?

good engine mods?

carpet kits, who makes the best?

what is the smallest lift i can have that will look nice and fit 35 in BFG's without fender cutting?

Im so new to this, what if there is a lot of rust, anyone sell replacement body panels?

i think that is all, im really looking for a lot of pictures of the interior, and if anyone has a K5 with 35 in BFG's with like a 4" lift, can yah send me and pic, thanks

PS sorry if i repeated any questions

2. K5silverado05

K5silverado05 Registered Member

Re: New to K5\'s

sorry i forgot a few things, i will occassionally tow the family skit boat which is on a 25 ft trailer, not sure of weight, would a lift affect this. also i hear people putting crossover steering on to help correct the steering for the lift, would i need this at a 4" susp lift? what gears would need to be running to turn those 35's, thanks

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

To answer one of your questions No you do not need x-over steering with only 35" tires . . .

~ <font color=red>S</font color=red><font color=blue>l</font color=blue><font color=orange>y</font color=orange><font color=yellow>D</font color=yellow><font color=purple>o</font color=purple><font color=green>g</font color=green>

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Those are alot of questions, did you try the search at the top of the page![​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

WHOA NELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally agree with chevyfumes- take a couple of days and use the search tool on the site. There's over 100,000 posts in this forum alone and a lot of the questions you've asked require a much more detailed question than "How much does it cost for a complete restoration?" I'm not trying to discourage you from asking questions, BTW. Just pick one question at a time, brother.[​IMG]

I'll give you a few answers to start:

-You can get quality replacement parts from GM, LMC, Cheyenne, or a wrecker...............to name a few

- Depending on what you want, paint jobs can be had from $500 to $5000+

-A 2nd gen top weighs 180 lbs

-Engine mods to consider are intake, cam, and exhaust

Anyhow, keep em' coming[​IMG]!!!!!!!!

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You can lift a truck for under 300, but it won't be done properly. With a four inch lift you'll need to get brake lines and some other things that are not included in the lift. You can prolly fit 35's under a four inch lift, but won't be able to articulate much.
    As far as which year is better? That's more of a personal thing. I have a '79. I like the grill. It has all of the creature comforts without the crazy emmision requirements on it, but it is not as econimical on fuel as an '87 or newer fuel injected blazer. The '79 is not a full convertable though. That's the only thing I'd change about it.
    I hope this answers a few [​IMG].

<font color=orange>hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?</font color=orange>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

7. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

WOW. you sure do like interior. try the search. it works wounders. you can even stumble across stuff you didn't even know you were looking for. ass the best years in a k5 i like the 73's and the 69's. but thats just me. if it has rocker boxes then there may be lots of rust inside of them. don't know what the point of the rocker boxes are. maybe its to hold dirt and mud and such. maybe grim knows. i don't see why you couldn't tow with it. i have towed with mine and i have a 4 inch lift. but it wasn't as heave as a boat. jsut get the droped down recever hitch. i would say get 4.11 gears or maybe 3.73s. depends on how often you are going to tow and how often you go of road. hope this helps some. hope it makes some kind of sense too. =)

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Fill out your profile! Location, email and so on. Makes things easier for us! [​IMG]

I have some pics....but they might not be what you want for the inside. But you can check anyhow... http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html