Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new (to me) Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ddawg, May 6, 2002.

1. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

Well, I bought my first Blazer yesterday. It's a '90 and as stock as they come. I got her at a fish and game auction for $2500. It's absolutely rust free. I even pulled up the rubber floor to find an imacculate floor pan. The engine runs a little rough, she stutters going up hill. Oh, it's got the 4-speed manual tranny. I knew it had a hitch and trailer brakes but found a CB amplifier under the passenger seat this morning. I'm already swapping the seats out. I had her off-road today and felt like I was sliding of the chair. I have a set I was going to put in my '76 Cherokee but that rig is for sale now. Never waste a good part, eh? So what do you guys think the first serious mod ought to be? Lift, maybe power mods?

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

That's great that you decided to invest into a K5. This site has so many resources on any topic that involves K5's and anything to do with K5's. I would say your first mod might be a lift and new tires/wheels. Maybe a 4" and 35's. The posibilities and modifications are unlimited with your new Blazer./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

Yeah, I'm thinking 35's but after reading the thread with behemoths bitch fest over the 33's; I'm a little gun shy. I don't want to cut my fenders as my sheet metal is beautiful. I was also thinking 4" lift but the tire fitment chart in the tech section says minor trimming for 35's. That could be attributed to the 12.5 width. I'll do some searching of old threads and make a decision.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My Blazer is still stock. I also am planning on 35's. I will be going with a 6" suspension lift and possibly a ORD 1" body lift. I really like the way ORD has designed thier shackel flip. I'd say the first thing you should do on your Blazer is a basic tune-up. Sounds like you got a good deal on it. How about posting some pictures ???? BTW, what ya gonna do with the CB amp you found under the seat ????

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

You can go with a 4" suspension lift and maybe a 1-3" bodylift. Bodylifts are very inexpensive(less than a $100). 6" of lift should clear 35's easily. Good Luck./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Also, about your fenders rubbing. With a 4" and 35's your tires shouldn't rub on the road, you need to trim for when you take it offroad.

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'd go with a 6" suspension lift, and then 36" tires. 35's are tight in a 4" lift... and they are too small on a 6" lift. Good luck! And if you're going to wheel it soon, drop in the ORD steering box brace ASAP.

Here is a link to ORD = www.offroaddesign.com

-Dan

8. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

Thanks for the tip.

9. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

Why hook a CB to it my good man. I live in Idaho so the squack box comes in handy up in the mountains.

10. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

After some deliberation between myself the angel on one shoulder and devil on the other I've come to my senses. Since I only wheel when camping in the mountains I need to keep my CG low. I also can't justify the cost of driveline mods etc. for a 6" lift [at this time]. I think a 2.5" lift and 33's should keep my rig out of the garage but keep me rollin' when offroad. Hey, thanks to everyone who gave me their 2 cents. Now let's talk about power!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

2.5 and 33's are decent. Gives your truck a more rugged look. Good Luck.