Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New (to me) DD pick up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by littlejimmythatcould, Feb 2, 2007.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

As soon as I get my taxes back this thing will be up and running. It's a 1976 3/4 ton pickup with 4 wheel drive. The passenger side is decent but the driver side is a little messed up. I got to put a motor in it and take a look at the clutch and see if it needs replaced. I can't wait to drive a manual again. I've heard good things about the sm 465 and can't wait to experience it for myself. This summer it will get a nice coat of rustoleum. And the bed is pretty messed up and it might be a flat bed candidate. What do yall think?

Edit: that thing in the back is the "deer slayer" it's a big homemade bumper that weighs about 250 pounds.

8-31 011.jpg

8-31 012.jpg

8-31 014.jpg

8-31 016.jpg

8-31 015.jpg

2. littlejimmythatcould

Here are some better pics of the bumper and the drivers side. I wonder if anyone would want that bumper for their k5... this dang truck has issues...

5-16 005.jpg

5-16 001.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  3. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

wow !! its gonna be awesome!!!:waytogo:

4. littlejimmythatcould

I only drive a mile to work everyday (I live on base) and the wife will drive my brand new 2006 gmc sierra crew cab to school (I spoil her). Plus it will make a good junk yard parts gettin' truck since it's all ready messed up and dirty. That way my brand new truck stays in good shape. It's got all kinds of issues right now though.

1. My wife lost the keys (to the column, both gas caps, and the doors):doah:
    2. Needs a new motor (no big deal)
    3. New(er) tires (in the front yard)
    4. PO says that the front drive shaft doesn't hook up to the t-case or the front axle (drive shaft is in bed somewhere under a bunch of trash)

I'll have my hands full for the next couple months, just the way I like it...

5. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

well its easy to fix the lost gas caps thing, grab a pair of pliers, and grab hold of the part of the gas cap that you hold on to with your hands, get a good grip and snatch that part off, then thread out the white part thats left.. ask me how i know lol...

6. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

that thing will be sweet when its done

7. littlejimmythatcould

Oh yeah, and this:doah: .... a crack or something on the passenger side frame with beefup on it. I might give it a few passes with the arc welder or should I just leave it be? One thing is for sure, this truck has had a rough life and will probably be glad to accept DD duty on nice paved roads to and from work and occasional junk yard runs.:D

P.S. Anyone a big fan of that bumper? Trying to decide if I will keep it on the truck.

8-31 020.jpg

8-31 019.jpg

8. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

i'll take the bumper LOL

9. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Oh YEA more pics to chop lol

10. littlejimmythatcould

Yes, I think this one will definately be a candidate for one of those Hartley trucks' grills replacements we talked about if I decide to not keep the "deer killer" bumper....

11. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I like the flatbed idea :D

12. littlejimmythatcould

Yes I do too just a little unsure about the, uh, little things that might pop up while doing it. But I do have an arc welder that I have been wanting an excuse to use:rolleyes: . I'm thinking about welding up the frame work with L- channel all around the edges and 2X6's for the actual bed surface. It should hopefully save on weight a little and since I"m won't be doing real heavy duty work it I don't think a full metal flat bed is neccessary. Plus, it's kind of old school. I would either seal or stain the wood planks. It's something I'm interested in, but will have to figure out a way to make the truck street legal without a bed. I'm going to get 'er running first and then see where it goes from there.

13. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Huh, I wouldn't think NM would have stricter laws on street legality than CO. As a matter of fact i've been pulled over in both states (on several occasions in CO) with no bed and have never had an LEO say anything about it. And I'm not using that as a end-all be-all of street legality, because we all know that wouldn't be true. But according to these, http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=fs-main.htm&2.0
    (title 42, article 4) my truck is legal in CO. Good luck with the truck, looks like you certainly will have your hands full!

14. littlejimmythatcould

That's for sure. My worries on street legalality (word?) were in reference to the brake/marker lights. I would have to rig some lights up temporarily. Possibly the gas tanks also. and put the license plate in the back window. I will post up when/if I get there. For now I"m just anxiously awaiting my tax W-2 so I can file my taxes, get my money, and get started.