Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEW(to me) K30

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazd88, Oct 3, 2005.

1. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

ok so i may have had it a week or two but i didnt have my camera yet.

anyway a few months back i go to my buddys repair shop in a small town about an hour away and look in the back lot that they had just cleaned up and saw her. a 1983 1ton 4x4 dually. i ask whats up with the dually and they say a local farmer(one of their regulars) brought it in about 2 or three years back. they couldnt remember exactly what was wrong with it since it had been so long. all they can remember is its the tranny or transfer case or something like that.

so me and my roommate go look around it not to look too interested or excited but look underneath. the transfer case is no longer attached to the tranny but its all dirty so we cant tell exactly what is wrong.

so i ask my friend who owns the shop if the guy wants to sell it. he says maybe he will call him and see. a few months go by and i call my friend and ask whats up. he says he really doesnt want to sell but for $2000 he would. wel im not giving that much so i wait.

few more months go by and we end up in town again and i ask about it again and my friend says that its racking up a hell of a fee for storage($15 a day for years now) and he says he will talk to the guy about it. so now hes on my side and tells the guy he will drop the fees if he sells the truck to me for cheap. so the guy says $1500 and i say too much. my friend says lets go check it out a little closer and he thinks it runs. so we go out with a booster pack and voiala it fires right up. now im pump its a bbc 454 sm-465 w/205 and a d60 front and d70 rear.

i wait the guy out another month and brought it home(behind my moms avalanche) for a grand. get it to my roommates shop and pull it off and crawl under it and its just the adapter between the trans and trans case thats split in two. so i just happen to have one sitting in the 78 1 ton i bought for the d60 only behaind the shop so that night it runs and drives(for a mile).

being the idiots we are we put the original sleeve back in the adapter and shattered it to peices and also found that the whole thing (underside)had been across something big. the brake lines were ripped off as well as the parking brake. the truck was in 4 lo when we got it and so it lead us to believe he was stuck pretty bad. but fixed the brakes and drove it home. now the work continues.......

sorry so long but ill be having alot of questions about this truck so bear with me please

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tell me what you think.its basically my DD now since i pull a trailer daily(better than an avalanche) and it needs some TLC but im starting to really like this truck.

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

nice score, what a deal. :D

3. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

just a few questions

The pedal(gas) is stiff. as stiff as the clutch. is this in the cable? the linkage at the carb is fine.

upon engaging the clutch in 2nd and 3rd a clank sound is made.not sure if its the tcase or the trans. iv checked the u joints and they are fine.the front d shaft has some play but its all in the pinion bearing(worn out) not the u joint.

anyone ever towed with a shackle flip? just thinking of the future

thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Replace the throttle cable... it gets a groove worn in it because of the loop..
    should be about 20 bucks and thirty minutes

it was hard to figure out your second question...its not clear...
    but it sounds like the sm465 tranny might have issues...
    maybe worn shift forks...heck ..ujoints... the 205? need more info

shackle flips are not great for towing... some guys on here do... but on one ton tow rigs I dont think so... I dont have them on mine... springs are the way to go

nice score.... looks like it will be a good project truck

cam

5. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Is it just me or do the front tires lean in a little?

6. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Dude, Very nice!

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

So do you power wash stuff with that trailer?

Excellent find. Goodly amount of patience too by the way.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  8. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

yes i own Detail by Design. any kind of powerwashing is all i do. 9 years ago i helped a guy start a reverse osmosis water purifacation bus. and we decided a mobile car wash was the way to go along with high volume water delivery. now im on my own doing cars or any kind of suface you can imagine. concrete, brick, to removing paint i try it all. the unit on the trailer will do 4000psi @ 220deg. ill post up pics tomorow.

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Resurrected one like that a few years back. Had an Onan motor that sounded like a mini Harley. :haha:

Never could get the heater to work right. Then I quit that job. Looked pretty snazzy with all the new fittings and what not just wouldn't heat properly.