Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEW (to me) M1008 want to swap in 4l80e, questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Slickm1008, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Slickm1008

Slickm1008 Registered Member

:doah:

so,
    I just bought fourbyken's M1008 and so far so good, except I'm NOT digg'n the 55mph top speed.

As such i wana do an overdrive mod to the vehicle.

SO.... what's the BEST way to do this without breaking the bank? I'm lean'n towards a 4l80e cause I like the idea of an automatic in a pick up BUT I see the compushift ECM is $1200 alone THEN i'd need to find a DECENT 4l80e, THEN have it all installed!!!

so it's look'n like it's a $3k swap by the time yer all said & done???

I'm NOT going to put a 700r4 in it, NOBODY says it'll hold up, the Gear Vendors seems even WORSE of an idea as it costs like $2500 and ONLY works for ya in 2wd AND always has the torque converter working overtime...

SO, what's yer best suggestion???

What am I look'n at to do a NV4500 manual swap? ...bout the same $$ wise as a 4l80e all said & done, or way cheaper??

:dunno:

I'm at a bit of a loss... lil help would be a HUGE step down the right path!

thx guys!!!

:pimp:

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Swap in 4.10 gears.

Or even 3.73, too.

3. scottsdale86

scottsdale86 1/2 ton status

Who says a properly built 700r4 won't hold up? How much HP and Torque are you making?

4. sixb

sixb 1/2 ton status

I say keep the 4.56s and go to a 35" tire with a built 700r4:D
    Way cheaper than a 4l80e or the nv4500 swaps and a complete bolt in.

5. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

6. Stomis

Stomis Professional Amateur Premium Member

Seriously a well built 700 will live no problem behind a 6.2.

If your still dead set you dont want one then the cheapest 4L80e route is to pull a harness and a trans from a 1993 auto 6.5 turbo truck. Its a needle in a haystack but that year was mechanical pump 6.5T with a 4L80e with a standalone factory harness and computer. And if you do find that needle you might as well grab that 6.5T also...

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

8. Slickm1008

My plans are to do the 3.73 ratio, it already has 33' tires and am STRONGLY concidering a banks turbo.

i just can't understand how a 1/2 ton trans (700r4) would hold up well in stock form behind a turbo 6.2, if i end up towing a goose neck or equopment trailor, unless it is a BUILT 700r4... and if you spend to build a built 700 why not get the 4l80e??

I'm a ford guy so I'm new to the GM side of the fence here, but I just don't wana save $$ on a swap just to have to replace a later cause I went cheaper... or would i really need to build up a 4l80e also?

just look'n to hear from some of you who have done a swap to an overdrive in yer rig and hear what you would do if you had to do it over etc

lol in short HELP!
    :bow:

9. bailey9r

bailey9r 1/2 ton status

My 6.2 blazer came from the factory with a 700 and it lasted 137000 miles. I had it rebuilt with upgraded parts for 1300.00 (including the new diesel TC) and it is going strong with 32's and 342 gears. Thats about as hard a combo on a tranny as it gets, high gears and my lead foot. :doah:

10. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

when i was debating going 4l80, i was gonna just put the trans in, with a manual valvebody, and manualy shift it through the gears. no ECU needed. be kind of annoying really, and all said and done, id rather have a five speed if im rowing the gears, as such ive decided to go with an NV4500. although for that 6.2, you could go the cheaper route and get an NV3550, there are several on here running the NV3500, and say its gear spacing is better for the diesel engine. and should be strong enough to run it just fine.

11. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

If he's planning on using this thing to tow or haul like I just highlighted there then he doesn't want a NV3500. I'd say swap in a NV4500 and keep the 4.56's.

How much are you planning on hauling/towing? Realize this is a 26-27 year old 1 ton truck with the diesel equivalent of a carbed 350. It's not a Cummins Ram 3500 or a Powerstroke F350.

12. Slickm1008

I pull a mid size kubota 4x4 tractor, and misc equip trailers snowmobiles & atv's and I plan to get 1 of those camper/atv trailers... So I'd be use'n ALL of a standard 3/4 ton's abilities in my thinking at-least

I suppose it's worth mentioning I'm hope'n to achieve 25 mpg for usual drive'n

...as it is, it shifts into 3rd gear @ about 28 mph, just WINDS out from there... So much so that it's scream'n go'n a mere 58 mph

As I say, THANK YOU all for the input!!! I'm hope'n to be happy with the results after the 1st attempt & not have to reREdo everything... & that's where u guys are invaluable!!!

Thx & keep the good advice coming

13. Stomis

Stomis Professional Amateur Premium Member

Swap to a stick if your after mileage like that. Honestly a NA 6.2 isnt pulling a gooseneck trailer very well. Especially in anything more than flat ground.

I'd start looking into 6.5T swaps at the least.

14. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Good luck getting 25mpg. You'd be lucky to touch 20mpg with one at the ideal cruising speed, well geared and setup, with low resistance tires on the freeway. You'd likely see high teens if you added OD and a turbo and drove it nicely.

Keep in mind the tow rating for these things was only like 8000lbs in 1986.

15. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

WHOOPS missed the 2nd post. my bad. yeah ignore the nv3500.

16. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Premium Member Author

Can you back this statement up with any kind of factual data? Not being a dick, just curious. as I don't want to spend the time and effort to build up a four speed automatic, just to have to change to some other trans because of a strength/durability issue.

I'll be running a mild built 5.7 TBI engine for now and a 4bt when money and time permit. But, the drive train behind the engine I don't want to change it once it's built. My CC will probably weigh in around 6500-7K lbs when complete.

17. bailey9r

bailey9r 1/2 ton status

18. scottsdale86

scottsdale86 1/2 ton status

A 4BT or mild 5.7 chevy are A LOT different then the 6.2 NA diesel he asked about, There are plenty of online resources and shops that will and can build a 700r4 for well over 400 hp and do it on a regular basis.

19. Kenny78

Kenny78 1/2 ton status

An Optshift controller is $590 with controller. It's working great so far. If I have read the compushift forums right then the optishift has less tunability, but for half price it should be expected. Line pressure, all shift points up and down for all speeds, TCC firmness is tunable on laptop and more crude adjustments and also all inputs can be made w/o laptops. You should be able to grab a 4wd 4l80e used with converter for $550 or under.If you grab a pre 96 4wd you might get lucky and have a rear speed sensor reluctor, but I didn't. I got a quote from a trans. shop that was reasonable but I had already invested in my other solution. The diff. mounted reluctor is temporary but will work until I rebuild the trans. You could also just get a electric np241 and accompanying elec. speedo.

My incompleted thread. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278030

If you are going to an OD trans I would not regear. The OD gear is .7?? and dropped my gas RPM's at 65mph almost 1000 RPM.