Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to post..86 k-5, new toy*Problem Solved*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trouble1, Sep 28, 2002.

1. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I just purchased a 86 K-5 and have questions...It has a 305 that had mods done (very poorly) edelbrock intake and carb, accel ign... has 700R4 tranny, NP208, 3" body lift and 33"BFG's. I live in the mountains and cant hold any kind of speed running up the passes. I'm assuming it's the gears.
    I'm thinking 4.11's, but with the 305, dont know if I have enough power to even start there....Can I get enough power to even make the motor usable?

Thanks for the imput....I replaced the gears this morning...went to 4.11's, what a friggin difference, I like my truck again!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: New to post..86 k-5, new toy

the best place to start in your situation would be gearing. 4.11's should wake it up noticably and with the 700r4 mountains should be nothing any more....

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what gears do you have now? what size tires do you plan on running in the future? what kind of wheeling do you do or want to do? the reason i ask is because if you plan on going to 35's or bigger why wast the money on upgrading the gears of half ton axles just find a 14ff with 4:10's or 4:56's (cheaper than regearing anyway lol) then just find a matching 3/4 or 1 ton front /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

I think I have 3.08's...I'm sticking with the 33's only because this has to remain a everyday driver as well as a toy, and with the snow here, I dont want to get any wider than what I've got..33x10.5....Also, rear main seal leak, anyone know how difficult to replace? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you dont ever plan on going bigger than yes 4:10's would help alot /forums/images/icons/smile.gif