Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to site,new owner,so bear wth me.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by turbobrik, Jul 22, 2004.

1. turbobrik

turbobrik Newbie

Just purchased a 1981 GMC Jimmy with S.B.400 and 350 turbo trans (I think). Just wanted to know how to "tighten" up sloppy steering....4" lift w/ 33" tires. Thanks in advance! P.S.-I don't know alot about these awesome trucks, could not pass it up for $1500.00!!

2. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

Sloppy how exactly? Does it have manual steering? if so theres an adjustment for slack. Is the PS fluid full?I just replaced my entire steering column, the bearings in the tilt wheel were shot and I had a bit of play (more of a wobble) at the steering wheel itself. Is the flex coupling in good shape, all 4 bolts attached? In general I'd check all the bolts and connections to make sure they're tight. Good luck, and congrats on the new ride!

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have had the same problem and have come to the conclusion that all these old chevy trucks have sloppy steering. Atleast compared to my newer Daily Driver. I would suggest checking your draglink ball joints and making sure they are good. the draglink is attatched to the pitman arm on your steering box to your axle. Take the tire off and work the draglink up and down with a set of vise grips. It should be smooth. Also check the above mentioned. You can also adjust your worm gear bearing by loosening the adjuster screw locknut and then inserting an allen wrench into the adjuster screw. Turn clockwise 1/4 of turn only and test drive. If it is not tight enough try another 1/4 turn. Beware if you adjust the worm bearing too much you can ruin your steering box. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Oh yea fill out your profile and get a membership if you want to enjoy all the benefits of this site, it will be the best $25 you ever spent. Welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

First off, welcome to the site. Theres more info here on chevys than you will possibly find anywhere else. If I were you, I would check the tie-rod ends, draglink, and steering stabilizer. This is a tough problem to fix. Im not exactly sure what YOU consider "sloppy steering." With a lift and bigger than stock tires, you will have bump steer (the truck wanting to wander when it hits bumps) and wandering. I have also never been in an older chevy truck that had responsive steering. I know on mine, I can pretty much turn the wheel 1/4 turn in either direction while driving and it not turn the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But, if I let go of the wheel while driving, my truck does a pretty darn goo job of staying straight. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

6. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

i agree you should check all the things stated above... but you should also check the frame around the steering box the frames on these /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif are notorious for there weakness in that area. if it is cracked then ORD makes a nice weld in frame patch also a good brace which i highly recomend if you plan on preventing a crack if it is cracked both of these items will fix your prob /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

welcome to CK5 it's a great site you'll be spending the time you should be working on your rig here in no time /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif