Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to suspension lifts and need some advice.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by libtec, Aug 9, 2003.

1. libtec

libtec Newbie

I am looking to get a just a few inches of lift out of my 78 blazer. It is all stock with wrangler ATS 31x10.5x15. I am looking to get a little more clearance for the front tires since the runner boards I have contact the tires in tight corners over bumps and I just want a different look for the rig. All I am looking to do is get 2-3 inches. Any suggestions on web site tech pages, aftermarket suppliers or a specific kit? I have never looked into lift kits so I'm trusting you guys to get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Well I am board so I wont say serch and you are a newbe,

First, ditch the running boards, they promote rust in my opinion and look gey.

Then think about ride quality, or off road benifits, and what you want out of the truck. I would recomend rancho or just a cheap entry level lift. If you want a cherry ride maby look into soft ride springs and ranch 9012 shocks.

Many will chime in here on what they have but it all depends on what you want from your ride. It sounds like hardcore wheelin is not your thing or you have a limmited budget or you see alot of highway miles rather than off road time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I agree with loosing the running boards, they do promote rust. Do you ever plan on big tires ??? 4" lift and 33's looks good, even better you could dump those boards and get some Nerf bars. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif For ride quality, I'd say BDS or Tuff Country springs. Do you tow with this truck ?? What do you mostly use it for ??? Lots of factors to consitter.

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Then think about ride quality, or off road benifits, and what you want out of the truck. I would recomend rancho or just a cheap entry level lift. If you want a cherry ride maby look into soft ride springs and ranch 9012 shocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying Rancho makes a marginal product? I'm just curious. I've had my Rancho lift for about 6-7 years and I never thought I was cheaping out or anything when I got it.

It seems to be holding up alright, although the rear springs may be making some noise (not sure, haven't identifies the source).

For the original poster, I'd say definitely start looking through 4x4 rags if you haven't already. All kinds of companies advertise their lift kits in there. They all list their applications and how much lift. You should be able to find a short 2.5" type lift.

You have to really consider what you want. 2.5" won't get you much. IMO, 4" is not too radical at all (the ford F250's sit about as high from the factory), but my wife would disagree. I have 35's shoved in there though, so if you went 4" with 33's, it would not look radical at all (again IMO).

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

yep running boards hes gots to go. i still don't see what pupose they serve anyway,most are only an inch lower than the rocker.if money is tight try a body lift for now. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. libtec

libtec Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I don't do any off road driving as you guys probably know it, I'm in interior Alaska so dirt roads and goat trails are part of life but no rock climbing or anything. A budget is a serious consideration and so is making this truck last as long as possible. I do tow a 20' travel trailer or a two place sled trailer. I think removing the runner boards would be a good idea and I might go that route since they were installed by a previous owner, I do like them since my two children can get in the truck without my help. I'd like to avoid a body lift since the one article I did read on the subject outlined having to extend the coolant lines, brake lines, steering column and a bunch of other things. Like I said, this is almost strictly an on the road blazer but some times I have to go through the trees. It looks like you guys do some incredible mods and trails with your rigs, we don't see anything like that up here. Thanks for the input! signed : the newbie from the north.. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif