Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to the 3/4 ton club...14bff traction options?? **PICS?**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, May 2, 2004.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Before I install my 14bff, I want to shave the pumpkin and do some sort of traction device. I don't have lots of cash at this time, so I was wondering about welding the spiders and calling it done, but is this bad? I am unsure if it has a gov-loc in it, but if I weld it, could I someday put in a locker, or would I need to get new parts? Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Re: new to the 3/4 ton club...14bff traction options??

If you did weld it you would have to get new parts for it

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

welding is a one time shot. I have mine welded and it is in my daily driver. Have to rotate the tires fairly often but other than that I don't mind it. Really howls on smooth pavement around the corners. Kinda fun though. My kids love it. There's always the detroit but there your back into money. They behave funny sometimes too. I'm sure there are some guys here that will tell you they love their detroits and no doubt they are good. I like the predicatability of welded and you cant beat the price.

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

a detroit is really the best option, in my opinion, but welding is cheap, or there is a mini spool on the market, i think maybe drivetrain direct sells it??? pick up one of the magazines and flip through i think i saw it in the latest petersens, oh or a lockright, but if your gonna pay for a lock right i'd pay a little more for a detroit, My detroit was approx. $310 plus shipping from reider racing.

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

well, if it has a gov-loc I think welding is about your only option. If it is open you can go w/a mini-spool or a detroit. I welded mine about a year ago and don't have any regrets.

6. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

So are there any bad reasons to weld an axle, I mean offroad wise. I mostly run in sand, mud, some rock, so would welding be bad in any of these conditions? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nah, welded is great for everything but the street. Weld it!

A locker is so agressive sometimes it's hard to say that it is any less harsh than a welded diff.

If it's off road only or limited road use, screw it, weld it.

I did one this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If your 14FF is open you can weld the side gears to the spiders and basically make a mini-spool. If you don't like it simply take out the welded chunk and replace it with a Detroit.

If it has a Gov-lock about the only option is to weld it. When going to a Detroit from a Gov-lock you have to replace the entire carrier anyway so there is really nothing to lose.

9. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any pictures of their welded rear ends? I kind of have an idea, but want to make sure I don't F it up. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. devilsquid

devilsquid Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone have any pictures of their welded rear ends? I kind of have an idea, but want to make sure I don't F it up. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Look here

this should help you out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HERE'S THE ARTICLE/WRITEUP YOU WANT TO READ

It's a slightly different way of doing it and is much stronger. Personally, I'd like to see KidJethro's writeup from this link replace the article on CK5's technical page.

(Steve? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif)

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HERE'S THE ARTICLE/WRITEUP YOU WANT TO READ

It's a slightly different way of doing it and is much stronger. Personally, I'd like to see KidJethro's writeup from this link replace the article on CK5's technical page.

(Steve? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I did mine the same way as shown in this article and it's been holding fine for 3 years of heavy wheeling now.