Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to the board come say hi!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BiggerRigger, Nov 10, 2002.

1. BiggerRigger

BiggerRigger Registered Member

Nov 3, 2002
    Would just like to introduce myself. I am a buisness owner/small engine technician in the northern panhandle of Idaho and a proud owner of a 1989 GMC Jimmy that up untill now is unmodified other than a set of 33" tires that rub on every left hand turn. And that leads me here to this great board to learn more about my rig and to try to help others with what I know. I will start with what I know about the rig and if you have any thoughts on whah I have please chime in and let me know.
    1989 Gmc Jimmy
    5.7L T.B.I W/air
    3 speed manual tranny 4 speed if you count the low gear that is rarelly used.
    10 bolt front and rear
    and I think a np208 but I am not sure about this.
    Question is how do I tell what I have and what should I keep my eyes open for in the future as I am sure you will let me know what parts are the weak links in the chain and after all that is what I am hear for to keep this thing going down the road and scareing the sh!t out of the kids in the cars with the coffee can mufflers! I should let you know that I do run this thing like it was supposed to be run but it is also my tow rig for long trips to lake powell every year towing my boat back and forth so I need it to be as stout offroad as it can be but it also has to have some good road manners is this two mutch to ask of this rig as it does a good job at both now but it does need some more beef down under from what I have read hear so far. Is it possable to make this a better rig both on and offroad at the same time or should I just leave it alone as my boss(read! wife) says I should as I have been lucky so far and have done nothing worse than knock the stock exhaust off from the cat back and have since replaced it with the ever popular cherry bomb muffler. Pretty good since I have had this rig over two feet off the ground at one time(did not meen to do that one) and have had it stuck so bad that it took 3 4x4's at the same time to pull me out. Knock on wood that I have not broke and parts as of yet!! So if you have any info on what I have sofar or what I should get please post them and I will do my best on any small engine tech. that I can.
    Thanks for your help!
  2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Feb 23, 2001
    Welcome! I would say its very possible to have an awesome offroad rig, and still have good road manners, IE towing capabilities. For example, Marv Springers truck! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Good luck to ya, and see you around!

3. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Sep 22, 2002
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    coffee can mufflers

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I beleive those young gentlemen refer to them as 'Fart-cans'.
    Wife huh? I have one of those too! Don't you love them til they try impede your spending progress--tools are not frivolous spending.
    At any rate, WELCOME ABOARD TO THIS BOARD!! I'm sure the more noted K5-wisemen will give you some great advice for your rig.
  4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Nov 25, 2000
    Welcome to CK5
    When it comes to fixing up the ride, You can go so many ways with lifts and such from Shackel Flips to the Springer Suspension. and the normal blocks and rear springs, I think I'm safe in saying that the Higher up you go the more you have to do and the more it will cost you, A four inch lift will most likely be the limit any higher and you will have to get new Drive shafts and longer brake lines with MOST but not all 4in lifts you can get by without the Drive shaft prob. and you can use your old brake lines with the use of new brakets to drop them down.
    But it all comes down to what your going to do with your K5 and how you want it to look. Here on CK5 you'll find K5's from stock to some with a 8 to 12in lift some guys are running no body lifts to some running 3in body lifts The thing here is the higher up you go with the body lift the more you have to do.
    As for your 10b's well let's say you mite want to find a 3/4 or one ton and get the 14b and a Dana 60 thats been the trend around here anyway.
    If you spend anytime on this site you'll get more ideas on what to do with your ride than you could do in a year or two
    A good cure for that tire rub would be a 4in lift or a 2in will work
    As for what tranfercase you have I'm not sure what year GM came out with the 241. But someone will.

Once again welcome

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mar 30, 2002
    Welcome to the site, you won't find better information or people anywhere else on the net. To solve your tire rubbing problem, you have a couple options I can think of off hand. Trim fenders, or lift (I prefer a suspension lift over a body lift)
  6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

May 25, 2002
  7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Feb 17, 2000
    If you go with a suspension lift, you'll have to go with a brand that gives a stiffer(read- rougher) ride because of the towing you do. I know guys have that have had problems towing with softer lift kits......

I'm not sure what year GM started using the 241 transfer case, but if you feel like crawliing under your truck you'll find a little circular red tag on the rear face of your TC. It will tell you the model #.

Welcome to CK5, brother!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
  8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Aug 5, 2002
    Welcome to the best place on the web and welcome to the forum that will teach you how to brake your truck /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    You say so far you haven't broken anything, because you haven't modified it enough, GM basically built a tough truck and in stock form I drove mine 6 years with only 33" tires, and never broke anything, I put 35" tires and lockers, and in 2 weeks broke axle Ujoints.
    So if you don't modify it, there is much less chance of breaking it.
    Now if you want it to be more capable, you need to modify it, but realize that to keep it as reliable as your stocker, you will have to modify a lot of things to match. Meaning, it's going to cost you...
    And there is nothing wrong with that as long as you know that going in.
    I would suggest no more than 4" of lift, 1-2" of body lift, and no more than 35" of tire if you want it to be a tow rog in addition to the off road vehicle. And if you have the funding, go with a selectable locker, so you don't have the quirky rear end while towing.
    Stick around and learn, read a lot before you attempt to do any modification, and when you feel you know what you want, do a search here on keywords like what lift, tire size, locker, transfer case, etc... and read all waht is said about the subject and then if you feel you need to know more, post your question here, and you will get enough responses to make up your mind in one day.
  9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Jul 3, 2000
    Welcome aboard...
    Sounds like a nice 89 Gmc. I currently own two 89's..
    One as a off road only truck.. the other as my daily driver.
    If you want to keep it kinda stock.. or mild lift.. I recomment 2.5 inch lift w/ 33's.. Here's pics of mine on 33's and 2.5 inch suspension lift..
    I like it's on road manners.. nice and firm ride, not to soft.. not to harsh.. Plus the lift/tires are perfect for daily driving.. or light off road duty.
    As for the 89 w/ a manual tranny.. doesn't seem to be too common.. but you're lucky to have such a unique combination. The t-case should be a 241c.. it's a great t-case.. just make sure you drain and refill it every year or so.. Use ATF fluid inside the tcase..
    The 241 is the tougher of all the aluminum t-cases.. and it has better internal oiling so less failures.
    And you could upgrade to 1 ton or 3/4 ton axles.. seem's to be the craze around here.. i caught on the craze.. but not for a daily driver.
    10 bolt axles are fine as long as you don't go over 35 inch tires and stay w/ 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratios.. good for towing and all around driving.
    Hope this helps.. these trucks are extremely durable.. and it will last you as long as you want it to..
    Again welcome..and all your needs have been answered here at this site..