Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to the burban game...

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 85burbanator, Feb 19, 2003.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

hey guys i just recently joined this site and had a few questions pertaining to the types of suspension lifts you guys are using. ive looked at the picturs and have been looking around at the different lifted burbs and the diferent suspension set ups.
    heres my question. would a normal suspension lift be sufficient in the off road world or would it be better to fab one up. also, can anybody explain to me the shackle flip thing. is it a cheeper way to get a few inches and can it be done with any lift kit. im looking at maybe the bds 8 inch kit and was just wondering if that would be sufficient. i dont do much rock climbing but ther are times when i might need better articulation. any info would be very help full.
    ps.. sorry if i come off like an idiot but im kinda new to lifting trucks. this is my first 4x4 so i wana do it right. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Well, when it comes to suspension I guess it all depends on what and how much you plan to do with your truck. And how much money you want to put into it. Other things factor in as well. What size tires you plan on running, how much if any sheetmetal are you going to cut off.

The shackle flip is a means to get your rear lift w/o blocks. For example the ORD shackle flip replaces the stock hanger and shackle. Just that alone gives you 4 inches. So if your only lifting it 4 inches your done. Say your doing a six inch lift. You get 4 inches from the shackle flip and you get a set of 2 inch rear lift springs. Now what makes this setup better than a set of straight up 6 inch lift spring? Well first off with only the 2 inch your spring is gonna be alot flater. That gives you better ride quality and suspension flex.
    Best thing is figure out what your trying to do and then ask questions.

Myself I'm running 6 inch tuff country springs in the front and springer suspension in the rear. This is on a suburban that currently is my daily driver that I"m building (slowly) into a trail rig.

3. 85burbanator

i plan on 8 inches of lift. so if i do a shackle flip i would only need 4 inch lift leaf springs? what about the front. is it the same thing? when i do the lift i will only be running a set of cheap 35's but eventually get some 37's or 38's.

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Fill out your profile for us.

Where are you at? I currently run 6" of suspension lift with 2" of body lift for a total of 8". I'm using a 4" block and a 2" add a leaf to get 6" out of the back. I also tow a trailer so I didn't go with any of the shackle flip creations. So far I haven't had any trouble with my 38's. To run 38's or bigger you'll still need to trim the fenders in the front or you'll rub.
    Here's some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Ya, for the rear you'd have the shackle flip and 4 inch springs. The front would be 8 inch springs. Do you plan on towing with this truck?

6. 85burbanator

no, no towing exept maybe the boat every once in a while. yea 8 inches is alot but i have to be the bigest burban in town /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. theres a few running around here with 4 or 6 inch lifts so i figured 8 inches and eventually 37's or 38's would be good. also if i had the 8 inch lift springs up front would it have good front srticulation or would it be kinda stiff?

7. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

well that all depends on the spring. Tuff country ez-rides are generally considered the softest spring out there. Thought I'm not sure if the make a 8 inch. Will have to check. Its all in the spring load rate. The lower the softer the spring is. Which means better ride, more flex. But on the flip side, the softer the spring the less load capicity. Say you get the softest spring out there. Its advertised as 8 inches. Has great flex, but then your heavy in the front (ie big block, winch+big ass winch bumper) You might not get 8 inches out of it cause of to much weight. But there are fixes if you run into a situtation like that.

Oh ya, always remember, when it comes to lift height and tires, bigger doesn't nessacary mean better. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. 85burbanator

eventually it will just be a a trail only truck. mostly mud bogger though. my uncle is building a rock crawling jeep cherokee with a inline 6 in it. its gonna be bad ass