Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to the chevy offroad world

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1986chevy_rider, Nov 8, 2005.

1. 1986chevy_rider

1986chevy_rider Registered Member

Im new to the chevy offroad world and I need some help figuring out what this noise and problem with my front end is. If I turn my wheels to the left i get this binding noise then my front leaf spring seperates about ffour inches and my front end lifts up what could I have done? Its on a 1986 chevy 1/2 ton with I think an 8 inch to 6 in super lift i didnt put it on I bought it like this. for a really good deal.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

post up a picture of what your steering system (everything between the steering box and the knuckles) looks like...

j

3. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I kinda had the same problem on my 77.It turned out that my gear box had come lose and everytime I turned the wheel the front of the truck would raise a bit.Hey,you don't live too far from me.

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Cracked frame around steering box??

5. 1986chevy_rider

ahh this is crazy

Well as far as the cracked frame its not cracked if it is wow. Its got a supported frame welded in extra metal and so on.
    K5 STEVE- where bouts do you live? And where do you wheel? maybe we could get together when i get my rig back to opperating levels. Ive also got a loud tickeing noise in my x-case. or there abouts when Im in 4 wheel drive its a 208 ive heard they are not that good. and to all ill try to post pics im not sure if i can though.

6. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I live in Carson City,Nv.Your a little ways out but not far.I just moved down here in July so I haven't ventured out too far yet whelling.I have taken my runner out on some really mild trails out in Gardnerville but it's all small rocks,the annoying kind.I just had my tranny,t-case,and complete rear end rebuild so I would like to take the blazer out.

7. 1986chevy_rider

well up here in fallon

well here is some crazy places to go also when its wet out here there is some crazy mud holes also but the dixi valley is where i want to go next. But that all depends on funds and gettin the black beauty back to shape.

8. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I'd like to find some good mud.Over hear is alot of really hard dirt though.

9. 1986chevy_rider

Mud

You want some just wate for the rain and snow to come itll be here sooner or later. what is your complete chevy setup im debating on the type and size of tires. and if i should go to 3/4 ton or just play with my 1/2 ton till i break them.

10. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I have a tbi 350,4inch lift,33's,3.73 gears.I just have a 10 bolt with 30 spline Superior axles and an Eaton posi,nothing too big.I just bought this one a couple of months ago.This is what happened to my rear end(before I bought it),it was cracked all the way around.
    [​IMG]

11. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Thats always fun.. Mine was great, had half the ring gear and carrier hanging out diff cover and actually put a hole in the top of the housing I could stick my finger through!! I guess stock 12 bolts dont mix with big mudders and 383's... :doah:

12. 1986chevy_rider

thats crazy

hey if you know where i can find some 3/4 ton axels for cheap could you let me know. also if there is some good junk yars around your parts could you keep an eye out for some good parts like the axels and a np205 i think that bolts right up to my trany the 465. thanks

13. 1986chevy_rider

my buddies 81

Hey what would make his 81 engine turn and turn and turn have fire but not want to run? any suggestions would help

14. 1986chevy_rider

sorry

its an 81 blazer 1/2 ton 350 engine and i think its a two bolt main. 4x4

15. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

No problem,I'll keep an eye out.