Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to the Diesel THANG!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 77 Mud Buddy, Sep 11, 2003.

1. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

well, I just picked up my first diesel this weekend. I havent had a chance to fire it up yet though. When I bought it they guy said it had a bad starter and needs replaceing. I'm about to do that tonight. From there though I dont know crap about diesels. Ive been looking through this here diesel forum trying to get an idea of things to look out for, easy performance upgrades, and regular maintenace scedules.

To give you guys a better idea of what I have, it is a 87' 6.2, th400, np205, d60, d70 dually.

Some other questions... this might be the wrong forum but i'll give it a shot, What is a good dually tire. I'm looking for a A/T type tire around the $100 range each. Currently I am looking at the Dominator Sport AT LT
    LT245/75R-16/ for $112 each.tire info

Also, This rig came with no truck bed. Any ideas on a flat bed design?

This should start plenty of conversation... probably resulting in the typical "DO A SEARCH" result... heh heh!

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Flat bed, not that hard, you really just need to decide how fancy you want to get! I've got a friend up here that's a pro welder and he's made at least three that I've seen and could probably give you some heads up on what to be concerned about and so forth! About the Diesel engine, the cheapest and most effeciant advice I can give is.... A diesel engine is like an oversized air pump... the easier it breaths, the better it runs! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Welcome to the Diesel club. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you have any questions I would suggest searching in this forum for em first and if you can't find it....ask away!!!

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I think it was more of a general cover all question, not a really specific question to ask.... I know Prescott to a degree and I don't see him as the kind of guy to be lazy.... I really think he was just trying to strike up a conversation! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Welcome, did you get a good deal?

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm looking for a A/T type tire around the $100 range each. Currently I am looking at the Dominator Sport AT LT
    LT245/75R-16/ for $112 each.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a 245 tire is safe to run on stock dually wheels. The tire bulges will touch if you know what I mean.

225/75R16, 215/85R16, and 235/85R16 are the common dually metric sizes. 235 might even be iffy of the Chevy wheels. The Fords use them though, but the wheels may have more offset. The door tag is the best place to start with the tires. The older 6.50R16, 7.00R16 and 7.50R16 should be okay to use as well.

Sounds like a sweet truck... Not very many have the 4x4, DRW, and a diesel... vast majority are 454 gassers.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like a sweet truck... Not very many have the 4x4, DRW, and a diesel... vast majority are 454 gassers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was looking for one for years now, I finally decided to buy a crew cab gasser and just replace the engine with a diesel when it gets tired which turned out to be soon.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

The 87 I got this past spring is a regular cab dually with a 6.2 and had an SM465/205 from the factory. Unfortunately someone removed that for a 700r4 and 208 of all things.

9. 77 Mud Buddy

[ QUOTE ]
    Flat bed, not that hard, you really just need to decide how fancy you want to get!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I'm not thinking that fancy to begin with. Just a 2x6 frame with 2x4 cross supports topped off with 2x6 or 2x8 wood planks. Oh, and a simple up and over kind of deal at the front of the bed. I can put more on later.

10. 77 Mud Buddy

[ QUOTE ]
    Welcome, did you get a good deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the welcoms! To answer your question: I paid 1250 but had to drive up to Denver from Austin to get it. All and All I probably spent $1700 to buy it and get it back to Austin. It looks really good though, just a little surface rust on some of the panels and a few minor scratches. I'll take pictures tonight and post them up!

11. 77 Mud Buddy

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think a 245 tire is safe to run on stock dually wheels. The tire bulges will touch if you know what I mean.

225/75R16, 215/85R16, and 235/85R16 are the common dually metric sizes. 235 might even be iffy of the Chevy wheels. The Fords use them though, but the wheels may have more offset. The door tag is the best place to start with the tires. The older 6.50R16, 7.00R16 and 7.50R16 should be okay to use as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool deal, Thanks for the info.

12. 77 Mud Buddy

!!!ANOTHER AUTOZONE STORY!!!

Well, I brought the bad starter down to the local "AutoZoned" to have it tested yesterday. The "oh so intelligent" "AutoZoned" employee put it on the test bench and connected it all up. The guy pushed the button 3 times with no spinning of the starter gear, just the sounds of an ass load of current going nowhere before it tripped the testers circuit breaker. After a few seconds the circuit breaker reset it's self and the "Oh so intelligent" "AutoZoned" employee did it again... "Yup it looks like it's bad."

I guess Auto Zone has a policy where they need to make sure something is broke six times before they deem it bad...!

Anyway, I picked up a new starter for $112 with a limited life time warranty. Before I got home though it was looking like the clouds were about to let loose. Can’t wait to get off work and try and fire this old girl up!

13. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to use the bolt on the engine mount! That bolt is extreamly important... Without it you WILL bust the starter bolts! Just a heads up, a lot of Privates like to skip that bolt and just use the two long ones, It may look tiny, but IT keeps the weight of the starter off the side of the bolts! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't forget to use the bolt on the engine mount! That bolt is extreamly important... Without it you WILL bust the starter bolts! Just a heads up, a lot of Privates like to skip that bolt and just use the two long ones, It may look tiny, but IT keeps the weight of the starter off the side of the bolts! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I picked up an engine from Pick N Pull a couple of months ago and it has the corner broken because they didn't use the third bolt.
    Well I always do even on my gasser I had it on, it helped keeping it good all the years I had it, and never needed adjustment, unlike my other gasser that didn't have it, It needed realigning every week.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. 77 Mud Buddy

Crap! I hooked up the starter last night. The batteries needed a lot of charging so I couldnt really get it turned over enough to get fuel to the motor. I am letting the batteries charge over night to try some more starting this morning. On the same subject, The owners manual has a procedure to prime the fuel line up to the intake. I am going to try that today.

As for the starter bolt thing! I only saw the 2 long starter bolts, I dont know what other bolt you are talking about. There are 2 long bars that mount close to the engine and are currently dangling but I dont see those connecting to the starter. What 3rd bolt are you talking about again? I'll take pics of the whole set up and may be you guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks for the info.

16. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Look at the tail end or the a$$ end of the starter! There should be a very small stud sticking out of the end of the starter that is closest to the engine mount... This stud goes through a hole in the engine mount and a small nut goes on it to keep it in place! This takes the weight off the side of the two bolts you've already seen! The two bars that are going from the engine mounts back are attached to the tranny cover, the thick kind! I can take pics if you need them! About priming.... You won't get anywhere if the primary filter isn't full! The primary is prier to the mech. fuel pump, therefor if it doesn't have any fuel, the mech pump will just compress air and then decompress and do nothing! Fill the large white filter on the firewall with diesel and also the hos that runs out of it to the mech pump on the front passenger side of the block! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 77 Mud Buddy

Dang, very good info... Thanks!

I know which bolt you are talking about on the starter. I was wondering what that was for. I'll have to look into bolting everything up here soon. I didnt get a chance to work on it yesterday due to the rain.

Great info on the fuel priming thing too. I'll have to give that a try today also.

18. 77 Mud Buddy

Finally got pics to post of the old girl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aint she purdy!

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I like the wide stance of the regular wheels on a dually axle.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 77 Mud Buddy

Yup, I had to use those to finish towing it back from Denver. The tire that was on the front passengers side started leaking out a pluged hole at about 30 miles out of Denver. I_4x4 sold those rims and tires to me for $25. They are low on tread but worked just fine.