Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to the Family 94 suburban

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Mar 19, 2004.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well my dad got a 94 suburban off the neighbor(old lady) higher mileage but all highway 132,000..... its a 1/2 ton and has a 350.....

Looking for insight on what to do to beef this sucker up. Tranny cooler? The normal towing stuff? Whats the 1/2 ton burb of this year rated at towing capacity wise? Any other cautions or precautions, our family mechanics said all looks well, i expected as much as its been well kept up.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

would recommend tranny cooler for towing anything more than a postage stamp!
    Tow rating would vary depending on axle ratio.
    Most GM tow packages included tranny AND engine cooler (heck, mine list the plush steering wheel to, but never understood that one??)
    Seems there was more in the tow package (springs? wiring? )
    Welcome to the world of /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The 8.5" 10-bolt/gov-lock combo does not last well in heavy truck like a Suburban. When it blows up.... swap in the beefier 9.5" rear from a light-duty (6-lug) K2500 pickup.

4. BowtieBlazer

i'll look into that, changing rear ends in such a computer controlled vehicle will it mess with much more than the speedo?

5. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As an owner of a 94 Sub, the info about the rear-end is right on. Only, I wouldn't wait for the rear-end to blow up as mine did. Mine blew up with having never set a tire in the dirt. I think mine blew at 50-60k miles. I would buy the replacement now and sell the existing one. If you're never going to add larger tires or go off road or tow anything heavy, then put an Auburn limited slip differencial in it and you'll never have to worry about it again. Oh yeah, the brakes suck. Go to Midas or someone that has a lifetime replacement plan because you'll be replacing pads every 20k miles.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As an owner of a 94 Sub, the info about the rear-end is right on. Only, I wouldn't wait for the rear-end to blow up as mine did. Mine blew up with having never set a tire in the dirt. I think mine blew at 50-60k miles. I would buy the replacement now and sell the existing one. If you're never going to add larger tires or go off road or tow anything heavy, then put an Auburn limited slip differencial in it and you'll never have to worry about it again. Oh yeah, the brakes suck. Go to Midas or someone that has a lifetime replacement plan because you'll be replacing pads every 20k miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can run your brakes for 20K?
    Man where do you buy your brakes?
    I would be lucky if I get 10-12k out of mine.
    This is a wear item and it will wear if you use it. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i'll look into that, changing rear ends in such a computer controlled vehicle will it mess with much more than the speedo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just get the same ratio and everything will work fine. 3.42 and 3.73 are very common. There's nothing electronic about these rear ends. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok, should have said "lucky to get 20k miles". I think I was getting pretty close to that though once I changed to ceramic pads.

9. BowtieBlazer

I see I never mentioned this one was a 2wd, but i'm sure it still has the same problems

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

If it's 2wd, pick 'er up, that'll be a nice daily driver.