Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to the forum and have some questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bowtiewrench, Oct 19, 2004.

1. bowtiewrench

bowtiewrench Registered Member

Well I just wanna say this is a great site and I am glad to be a member. My dad just bought a 1990 k5 and it is in really good shape for its age. The body is straight as an arrow and the previous owner really took care of this thing. I do have to replace the rockers and rear floor pans because they are totally rusted through. Any one have any tips and such on replacing the rear floor behind the driver and passanger seats? Also which t-case does this truck have? I know it has a 700r4 but I honestly do not know that much about the t-cases gm used through out the different models of trucks. In the future I plan to swap out the 700r4 for a 5 speed manny tranny cause come on, autos suck. Are there any conversion kits and adapters out there to accomplish this and mate the tranny to the t-case? I have been looking at the nv4500 and I suppose it might be what Im looking for. Thanks for your imput. I cannot wait to see how this k5 does off road.

Alex

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

just get the replacement panels from LMC and weld them it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You should have a 241 t-case which is a very good case, it has the lowest gear so it crawls good.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

BTW welcome to ck5, it is a awesome site and you will learn alot at least I know I did /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well if you really want a 5-speed, be prepared to do a little work. The nv4500's are not a bolt-in deal. The sm465, however, while still not 100% bolt in, is a relative breeze to swap in. Check out the Body Shop for some floor pan replacement tips. Scroll near the bottom and look at the post by jjlaughner. He replaced his entire floor, but it might help you with some ideas on what to do. Using factory-type rear floor pans is going to be expensive since GM has raised the prices like crazy recently on their sheet metal. If you want to go the factory route, however, jjlaughner has also done this on another Blazer, a small write-up with pics is on his site here: http://www.jjlaughner.com/truck/rebuild3.html

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

PS, where are you located? Are you in the rust belt?

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

So... why do autos suck?
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Auto's do suck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stir...stir...stir

Rene

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I like the automatic's for ease of city driving and plowing--but when you put it in reverse and it doesn't move,like my 74 K20 now--I'm wishing it was an SM465 in it--at least you know its going to move when you let the clutch out!--and putting a new clutch in is no harder than pulling the automatic out for a rebuild-. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. bowtiewrench

bowtiewrench Registered Member

Thanks guys. I am not scared to do a little work, I love ripping things a part and making something out of them. Autos suck in my opinion because they are boring to drive, a little worse on gas, way more complicated to work on, and you are not in full control of your vehicle. With a stick you can manipulate the truck any way you want, ask any dirt bike racer if they would want an auto instead of a manny tranny and see what they say, or even an SCCA racer. Any ways I am very excited to start working on this pig. O I am located in good ole Massachusetts, so ya this place is def. part of the rust belt /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Alex

9. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

SM 465 /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Auto's do suck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stir...stir...stir

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

cough /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif