Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to the forum...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bowtiefan, Mar 3, 2002.

1. bowtiefan

bowtiefan Newbie

hey, new here to the forum. i've been visitin for a while but never did anything being i only have a 2x. but this summer i'm gonna sell the truck and get a k5. so on top of introducin myself, i also want to ask: what year/s would you recommend me looking into for a k5?? i was lookin toward 83-87, but want a np205 and a 12-bolt....which takes me to 1980...anyway. so what are your suggestions??

2. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Well I like the 79 myself. np203 trasnfer cases dana 44 or 10 bolt in front 12 bolt for sure in back and some 14 bolts from trucks in this year to. Welcome to the forum there are so many great people here and so much technical info to browse. If you think of it it has been asked here.

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

87 and up have the TBI.......Welcome..Dan

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Welcome !
    I like the 87- 91s They have TBI,(the best for offroad) The Overdrive helps get decient gas milage, Nice low 1st gear, The 241 is a good x-fer case, Gm had fixed the 700r4 bugs by then.

The pre 87 700r4 auto trannys had some problems, Their Computer controlled carbs are a PIA too. If you are going to go pre 87 try to find one with a 4 speed or TH400 and non computer controlled carb. 12 bolt would be nice, But ten bolts aren't all that bad unless you are going to go with tires over 33" and do some real hardcore wheeling.

5. 84Blazr

84Blazr Registered Member

If I were to buy another K5 it would be a 73-75. Full convertible, no emissions restrictions. Can't beat any of that.

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

75 is the first year of smog restrictions - 74 was just rolled out.

73-75 are good looking trucks.

If you are looking at the newr body styles, dont let the axles that come stock affect your purchase. Since you seem to like the later models I would suggest an 87-91 (for TBI) and then throw in a 12 bolt or diffs of your choice.

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the madness and addiction...
    I have a 1983 and 1989 Blazer...
    Hands down.. I love my 89 more.. it fuel injected with TBI (throttle body injection) ** note: very reliable** and many upgrades out there for the late model fuel injection engines.
    I really dig the 89-91 front ends...
    But.. if I could buy another Blazer right now.. i'd buy a 1973-1974 just for the full removable top...
    See... ADDICTION !!! [SMILE][LAUGH]

8. bowtiefan

bowtiefan Newbie

well it's not that i like the later models, i just like the look of them. i'm tryin to get a model that's newer than the truck i have now...the reason for wanting a 83+ *don't like the looks of the 81/82's...can't stand the grilles and signals in the bumper*. i really don't care for computer anything, but if it means buying a more realiable or better 4x then i guess i'll be up to it. as for the 10-bolt and 33's; in the beginning i'm planning to run a 2" and 33's, then later on get either a 4" or 6" lift and 35's/36's. plus the place where i go wheelin with my friends is also a favorite place of quads, so there's a few MAJOR jumps i'd like to take at least once or twice every few months in the Blazer when i get it, and the mud's deep/thick enough for 44's to get stuck in.....almost. i'm lookin forward to gettin the Blazer and stayin on this forum, seems like a cool place.

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

welcome to the group
    i waited too long to become a full member. i would recomend you spend the 25 bones. you get a few megs of space to post pictures and all. and some stickers and stuff.
    hope you learn a lot on here. like how to convert your 2x to 4x.
    Grant

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey bowtiefan. Welcome dude!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    Fill out your profile too./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I think that Firtst Gen's 69-72 are where it is at!
    When I was looking to get a K/5 I wanted a full convertible so that is 69-75.

First gens come with 205's and 12 bolts like you mentioned, but if you hang around here long enough you'll be looking for a 14 bolt, like me. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

and <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/videoclips.msnw>My Video clips, and i'm sure you can look around at everyone else's K/5 on this website and get more of a feel for what years etc you like.
    Good luck man
    Take it easy.