Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to the K-5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan, Jan 17, 2001.

1. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

I have had a 1983 Chevy 2WD truck for many years, however I recently purchased a 1990 K-5. I'm sure the question has been posted before, however, I'm new. The top has never been off. I have taken all the VISIBLE bolts off, with the exception of the four in the rear that are only accessible by removing the rear speaker. How does the top come off? Did GM not want the top to be removed easily? What to do with the seat belt boxes that are bolted to the top! I have managed to get the front to lift about 2 inches. Any help would be appreciated.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Just take the four in the back off, and it will come off. It may require some force, its probably sealed on there pretty good. Congrats on your purchase.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I've got an 83 and underneath the top at the rear there is 1 more on each side that need to come off also! Last time I took them off I left the two underbolts off. It took a little force but the whole top came off in one swoop. Where do you live you can take the top off in January? Too cold even in Tucson!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Welcome to ColoradoK5!! And congrats on the purchase of your Blazer!
    On a more helpful note, I agree with the others, after you get the other bolts out, it will take a good amount of force to get the top off if it hasn't been off before. Make sure you have a buddy handy, that thing is heavy!

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My 89 has two Tamper Proof Torx bolts near the rear that kep the top from coming off...if you can lift the front 2", the these are probably the bolts that are hindering your progress.....I wouldn't think you'd be able to break the front loose and not the rear....be careful not to damage the gasket and make sure you clean/lube it before you replace it....the most common place for leaks is at the gasket between the cab roof and topper....good luck.....JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Ryan
    Welcome to ColoradoK5 and congrats on your new K5.

Jimmyjack
    You know how it is you get a new covertable the first thing you wanna do is take the top off at any cost.

HEE-HAW .... tops off time to play

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>