Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to the K10

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OrangeCrushK10, Jan 24, 2003.

1. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Okay, so that's a bit of a lie, My mother's owned 2 K5 blazers, my brother a diesel Blazer and my dad an older '72 truck.

But I've never owned one until now! It's a Big Bright Orange 1980 K10. I'm pretty sure it was an old state owned (wildlife division?) truck. Somone swapped a 350 4-bbl into it, gave it a body lift and a homemade exhaust.

The body is beaten all over, rust is claiming the cab, I need new tires and the front hub is trashed, but still a fun truck for $600.

So, Where do I go from here? I was thinking a Dana 60 in the front since I need to do some work on the front anyway. But what's the cost of that?

I was also thinking of swapping the 350 for a 454, but I'm not sure how much trouble that's gonna be. Any suggestions?

Hoefully I can do a bit of trailing after new tires this next paycheck. Hope to see you guys around!

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sounds as if you've got a decent background of chevy info. Your truck sounds like a great start. Post pics if you can...I always like to see what everyone's driving.

As for your questions...if you can find a dana 60 in good, swappable condition for $1000 - get it. Yes that's right, $1000. Not too many zeros there. So, it is a large investment, but worth it if you really are going to put your truck through some abuse. Otherwise, 10 bolt and dana 44 fronts (complete - and either will work) can be had for $250 or less. If you are running a tire size of 35" or less, those axles can be a decent option. Of course, and before you go dana 60, you'll want to throw a 14 bolt FF in back. $150-200. You'll need new wheels to go with the 14 bolt, and dana 60, however.

Really unless you're going to do some major mud-bogging, or you just love that big block torque....the 350 can have some advantages. First of all, rebuild and performance parts are even more abundant/cheaper for the 350. Secondly, you can make some serious h.p and torque from a small block. I suggest, if you haven't heard about them yet, that you search the forums here for "383 stroker" - or even check out the specs of one from www.summitracing.com - they're a great option.
    Well, I think that covers the questions....hope to see you around too.(But not likely...I'm a bit further from you than most of the people on here) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

go pick up some Warn hubs, they are cheap and reliable, or if your adventruious, go to the junk yard and get some lockouts off a junked truck. and i belive that 80' was the last year they had a np205 in those trucks, except they had the slip yoke disign, but stil gear driven /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. sounds like a cool ride /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I'll probably hang on to the 350 for a while, though I do love that big block torque.

There are some lockout hubs on it now, but unfortunetly the previous owner must not have fully disengaged them at some point. The inside of the hubs are trashed. The axle and one of the lock nuts has also been chewed up badly too. The axle is probably savable, but I'll need a new nut for it.

New hubs are definetly on the list, however. From looking around on the boards the last few days, it sounds like Warn is the way to go.

And where's that swap meet at on the 1st? I'd like to look around a bit, even though I probably won't be able to afford anything since new tires is my first priority.