Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to the k5 way of life

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Jun 24, 2001.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 1987 k5 blazer its pretty much stock 350 tbi, i got the truck about a year ago and i wanna redo the engine. i am new to this and very eager to learn. i would like to replace the heads, new cam, lifters, but my question is that i have centerbolt heads on there now i was looking at the edelbrock rpm heads but do i have to get the centerbolt ones, and are they worth the money, also if i do the heads what do i do about the throttle body

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm no engine expert (axles are my specialty) and don't worry, there are plenty of others on the site who can give you the info you are searching for.

BTW, welcome to the worlds best GM K-series site!!! You will find just about anything you need to know here! Good luck! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

and hey fill out your profile would ya???

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well I have an 87 so I know what you are looking at. The edelbrock system is a great setup and makes good power if you want to shell out the money. I'd also look at the possibilities of their MPI conversion as that would nab you a lot more power and milage then anything else. The stock heads of the FI aren't great but they can definetly keep up w/ some small work to them. A great mod if you choose not to go w/ the MPI setup is the Vortech heads... only downside is you will probably need to go roller drivetrain, but that also increases milage and frees up some power. Overall you will pay a lot less for a rollersetup and Vortechs and make about the same power...plus you have the cast iron head rather then aluminum which is nice if you drive it daily. You can put on aluminum heads on a daily, but I don't like it up here where the temp ranges are incredable... asking for problems IMO. A whole other aspect is the ecm setting which you could get a custom chip burnt and get some more power w/ the mods. Just for peoples FYI... I may be putting my Vortechs up on the for sale board very soon... since I'm looking to do a MPI swap most likely.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>