Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to the k5 world well chevy at that!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Commocozy, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Hello All-

Nice little site you have here. I will get this out of the way, i have been a ford explorer man up untill recently! Well, i still haev my explorer, but she is way to new to beat her like i do! She has about 5 inches of lift with 33's under her, Oh she is a 98 sport to.

Ok enough about the ford. a good frined of mine has an uncle who has a K5 ( that i have never seen) that is moving and needs to sell. It is an 85, with a 400 under the hood and a 400 turbo tranny. this is all i know about it. I was hoping you folks could point me in the right direction for things to look out for, and what to look for. Anything you can give me will be great!

Thank you for the time,

Austin Staunton
    Chicago IL

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Look at the steering box . Mostly at the frame. Blazers are known for cracking the frame at the steering box. If you do buy it. You will fall in love with it and spend every extra penny you have on it. You will also sell your F**D and use that money to put into the Blazer. I am good at telling you your future because we have all been there.........LOL Dan

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the boards! Besides the frame deal just look it over as you would any other 4wd. It might be nice to know what the dif gears are. Look inside the glove box for list of options that came with it. Make certain the scented air freshener is clean and free of debry.

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

85's are awesome - especially mine[​IMG]! Seriously though, check the frame at the steering box, then fork over the cash and enjoy.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

First off, lets understand one thing on this site: everybody calls those vehicles you have an 'Exploder!' [​IMG] [​IMG]

Second off, sell the Exploder and dump all the cash into the K5!!! You will NOT regret it and neither will the K5!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Third off, welcome to the worlds best Chevy/GMC web site!!! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

in case you could not tell we are ALL heavily addicted. we are starting support groups for the K5 addiction... LOL

really when these guys tell ya to sell your f*&d and dump all the money into the k5 it is NOT because they are prejudice (yea right... LOL) but because this is what we have ALL done.

like I said we are heavily addicted, but welcome anybody (even if they do have and exploder)...

welcome aboard

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

Now guys i can't just go and dump the Explorer. chances are that thing will do most anything you guys can do! i am not going to get into that though. If you want to find out more run over to 4x4Central.com message board. '

Well, i would say between the todat and tomorrow i am going to check this ride out. oh did i say he was selling it for 2000.00.

Anyways talk all the junk you want to about the Explorer, i will take no offence, as i would do the same thing if you went to our board :-)~. thanks for the help and keep the advice coming.

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard...
    85 for 2,000 isn't bad at all.. check for rust underneath the right rear and left rear just below the tailgate.. Blazers/ Jimmies are famous for rusting there up north and north east.
    Enjoy your stay here.. as you will learn it's very addicting here.. and these guys... all of them are a strange, but great bunch.. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

A well armed society is a polite society. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</A>

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the board man. We all have product pride so dont sweat the flames, its subdued really. The K5 your looking at is going to be a real nice trophy if you take your time on it. Look for the afore-mentioned steering frame crack. Most all of the big three had this problem from the late 70's to late 80's. the earlier 400 blocks had a tendencey to run a little hot due to undersized and too few water passages. Most prevalent in Ford 400's. It was since corrected in the models after 81. This is what my engine guy has told me anyway. The 400 that resides in your truck is a tq. monster waiting to be unleashed. the trans is about as bullet proof as you can get stock at the time. The other few body related things to look for are the condition of the rear tailpan and the rockers. These are the most common rust areas in the K5 and Broncos for that matter. Well good luck with it. If you get it you WILL be happier in it. 4" of suspension lift and it will sky you over the Turd Exploder anyway. Plus it will flex a whole lot better than your Exploder will.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Welcome to CK5.
    Now even your highly modified Exploder will not do what a K5 will do till you lose the IFS with a solid axle conversion. You just can't get the Flex. A Stock K5 probably has more flex than you truck does modified. A stock K5 will flex out right at 600 on a 20deg ramp WITH the front sway bar still on it. I watched a modified Explorer (4 door) with the TTB what has more travel then your IFS does ramp on Saturday and it only managed around a 350 without sway bar. Yeah with your shorter truck you might do a little better than most but it still has that IFS (inferior Front Suspension as I like to call it). Yeah it did out flex a Hummer LOL.
    You will understand this when you get the K5. I have run the likes of Tellico in a Stock K5 and it does quite well. You don't even want to try to follow me now that I'm lifted.
    Yeah Keep the Exploder cause it does get better gas milage for day to day driving and probably has better AC and grocery store running is easier but you will understand shortly that it is not going where the K5 can off road. The only Ford that will get any respect for offroad prowes from this crew are pre 80's when Ford still had a solid axle on a short wheel base.
    Ohh and you can lift about 5 K5's for what it costs to lift one Exploder. The hot ticket is EZ ride front springs and stock rears with a Shackle flip. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.offroaddesign.com>http://www.offroaddesign.com</A> will get you all you need. That company is run by our own Stephen Watson. #2 TTC 2001 in a K5.
    You should be able to get your K5 ramping about 800 on a 25 deg ramp for about $500 if you do the labor yourself. Takes about 5 hours if you got Air tools and stuff isn't rusted solid.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Check for Rust anywhere and everywhere. Underneath and by the tailgate and floor area. And everything else everybody has said.

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allison Auto

12. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

ok lets get off the Ford topic. I know what the X can do. If i can find my pics online maybe i will post them :-)~ the only reason i don't like the idea of the K5 is it is so dam big! where i wheel Attica In,( BADLANDS) for those in the area! it is going to suck doing the trails there with a K5.

is there anyone in the IL area that i could let see this thing to tell me if it is a good deal?

13. Grim-Reaper

K5 only has a 106 inch wheel base. It's not as big as you would think. A 4 door exploder has a longer wheel base at 111.6. Your Exploder Spert has 101.7 So 4.3 inches at the wheels longer.
    Your truck is 70 inches wide and K5 is 79 inches wide.
    The killer on a K5 is the rear over hang. But your truck is a 179 inches bumper to bumper. A K5 is 184. K5 has a better aproach angle and a Exploder had better departure.
    Only apreciable size difference is width and Hight. Lot closer than I thought till I went and looked it up. Those specs are off Edmunds.com
    I think the hight the K5 has is why so many think it's such a huge truck. Most of the hight is in ground clearence and that's where it counts off road. Fact is it's not much bigger than a Mid size in anything but width.
    http://www.gbr4wd.com/cgi-bin/images/picture_frame.pl?IMGA0048.jpg
    That's flex and it's cheap flex
    Really I'm not trying to be a pain here just getting you to understand if you planning on off roading your getting a great truck. I have some IRC buds up your way. Couple work at OK that wheel your area. I hear Badlands is fun. They have been trying to get me to come up for a while.

Grim-Reaper

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Basically from what I'm hearing, it sounds like a decent deal. Especially b/c the price is about $2K. But, check out what Tcase it has, and even axles, b/c TH400 trannies never came stock with a K5, so he could've swapped some more goodies in there. btw, the TH400 as mentioned earlier, is one of the most bomb proof auto trannies out there. Actually, now that I'm think about it, I'm not even sure if the 400ci motor was offered in 85'. So, that's probably swapped in too.
    I guess, if you have a digi camera, take some pics and post, then we can tell you if it's a really good deal or not. Or, make another post and say "Anybody in the Chicago area" and I'm sure someone will step up and help you out. Basically, check for rust everywhere.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

15. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

THE BADLANDS licks all sorts of ass!!!!!! The explorer club is running up there in Aug/Oct. I love that place!!!

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

that rear overhang can be taken care of for the price of about 3 sawzall blades, some fiberglass working stuff, and the price of a fuel cell. [​IMG]

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

17. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

You would know laketex [​IMG] !

Paul a.k.a. Paulie a.k.a. Juan Valdez, take your pick !

18. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

umm well this 85 K5 turned into aa 1979 K5. now the guy still wants 2000.00 for it, but it runs well, and also has no rust i guess this thing is from down south. So what do you guys think now? It also have 33x12.5x15 on her. i have to see what the bank says cause i just spent all my play money on my Explorer! the paint is pretty much shot, it has no carpet and the floor boards are clean from what i saaw

Austin Saunton 1998 Explorer Sport, Maybe some to have 85 K5 with 400 under hood along with 400 turbo tranny.

19. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I would definatly still go with it ! !

Paul a.k.a. Paulie a.k.a. Juan Valdez, take your pick !

20. Grim-Reaper

If it's rust free jump on it. I would say that a 79 is probably a better off road truck to begin with. It has a stronger rear axle and although the case that would have come in a 85 has a lower low range the 203 or 205 case in that 79 is MUCH stronger and will take a lot more beating before giving it up. The tranny is also going to take more abuse.
    Who cares about paint if your going to be running it through the woods it will look like crap in short order anyway.

Grim-Reaper