Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to the off road need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryno91, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Ryno91

Ryno91 Registered Member

hey im kinda new to the off road before my new blazer its all been muscle cars... i need a little help my tranfer case went out on my 91 blazer and i was wandering wat should i get to replace it and where i could find one...the truck has a 350 with a automatic 4spd trans amd a 4 in lift anyother info needed to help me on this just email me at ryno599@yahoo.com thank you very much for your help
    -ryan

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

your t-case is an np241. A pretty good case overall, its slip yoke being the only downside. You could swap a np205 in instead, but its heavier and has doesnt have as low of a low gear (2:1 vs 2.72:1). On the other hand, the 205 does have an iron case and fixed rear yoke (assuming you dont get the 1980 gm 205 that had a slip yoke...). Personally, if I was you I'd just stick with a 241... either repairing the one you have or buying another one. What exactly is wrong with the one you have? any idea? symptoms?

Both cases are relatively common... parts yards, 4x4 www site FS forums, nickel ads, craigslist etc would be good places to look.

You have a TH700R4 transmission most likely, if you want to go 205 you'll need a new adapter etc. Do a search for th700r4 and np205 and you'll find its been covered before. They are usually mated by using a th350-to-np205 factory adapter and a 2" spacer (that goes between the trans output shaft and the tcase adapter).

j

3. Ryno91

Ryno91 Registered Member

eh well a couplw day ago i was drivin home and it started runnin rough, real shaky, so i stopped and looked under and there was nothin loose or any bolts missing and it was to bad. bout half way home at a light i barly hit the gas and the u joint just got sheerd off where the yolk connects to the drive shaft.. after that i just had it towed and its been sittin ever since

4. jekbrown

Impossible to tell without testing it, but it seems possible that all you had was a u-joint failure. When it was "shaky" the joint was near death... at the light it gave up the ghost. Hard to tell by your discription... did just the joint break or did the yoke break also?

If its just the joint, I'd try just replacing it and gently testing the rig to see how she goes... maybe put the rear end up on stands and just give it a tiny bit of gas to get things turning. If there is any resistance at all, shut it down cause there prolly is a case issue. If the yoke grenaded too, this might be the perfect time to add a SYE kit to your 241... assuming your 241 is otherwise in working condition.

j

5. Ryno91

Ryno91 Registered Member

ive been messing with it today and took off the driveshaft and all that..i went to start it put it in drive and then tride to put it back into park but when i did that gears started grinding so im guessin something fallin apart inside the x fer case

6. jekbrown

sounds like its time to pull the case and either rebuilt it yourself or take it to a drivetrain shop and have them take a look.

j

7. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

make sure ur t-case is in drive, unless something is bad in your case making it not go into gear. i know when you have them in nuetral it makes that grinding noise.

8. Ryno91

Ryno91 Registered Member

well thanx guys uve been a lotta help...looks like igot some work to do and will hopefully have it done for mudfest in a week