Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to this a little help please?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 58 apache, Aug 26, 2006.

1. 58 apache

58 apache 1/2 ton status

i have a 1958 apache front halfed with k5 4x4 running gear. 400 SBC mild build real th350, np208 10 bolt front and rear front discs rear drum power steering. all right here we go. i am in the process of making this a daily driver. a friend and i built it a few years back and he knew way more than me we skimped on some things and i want to make it the best i can now for a daily driver. mild off road use i am buying a old airstream 20ft and gonna cruise america and mexico. the engine is a fresh build. tranny needs rebuilt but as i understand is a great tranny,pre 73 vaccuum only. should i go to 12 bolt? i plan on maby a 33 or 35 x12.5 tire size? what gear ratio? what brand? remember primary street and towing 4x4 to get unstuck and into rural areas. i want to upgrade to disk brakes in the rear is that a big deal? especially if i am getting a new rear. do i have to change anything? what about a 4 inch lift? kinda soft springs? we put 3 body to clear frame. is the 208 a good transfer case? can it be rebuilt seems to bee leaking?[​IMG]

2. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

nice looking ride for sure.

If you're going to go through the effort of swapping out rear axles, might as well go 14bolt with 3.73 or maybe 4.10. www.4lo.com has some nice calculators to figure out what gearing you need based on tire size to retain stock performance. disc brake conversions are pretty straight forward for the 14 bolts as well. 10 bolt would probably suffice but a 20ft airstream and 35"s might not agree with it too much. If you do swap into a 14 bolt, depending on whether it was from a 1 ton truck or 3/4 ton will make the difference between moving spring perches. There's a ton of posts about it and a write up in the articles on this site.

4" lift would clear the tires no problem. I've got a tuff country EZ ride 6" lift that I like. real smooth ride considering what it is. I've heard BDS is nice too. A bunch of posts about this topic too.

NP208 is chain driven but adequate if you're not rock crawling. that's what i got in my truck. Should be fine for your application.

I've never had a Th350 tranny but I hear they're decent for light duty. TH400's are stronger and can be built to be bombproof. I've got two in my garage built for high horsepower drag racing. 700r4 has overdrive which is what is staying my truck. Probably thousands of posts on this topic.

I'm sure there's a few other opinions to be heard and you'll get them. Alot of really knowledgable folks here. Read through all the posts and you should find everything you could possibly want to know.

all that & welcome.

chris