Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to this and trying to replacing my head gaskets and I messed up........

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Jul 11, 2002.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I messed up the order of the rockers and well, everything else. I am doing this to my 6.2. I was told since I have so low mileage it doesn't matter. (15,000 on it) What should I do? What I did so far was I got 6.5 gaskets, thread sealant and I ran a tap and die in the holes and bolts. I was going to use a wire wheel to clean the heads and block and then torque it back down. Is there anything else to be done?? I just want to make sure I am doing this right and I don't want to cut any corners. Any help would be very appreciated!! Sorry for making this so long.

Thanks a lot Mike

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Did you buy new head bolts?

3. 84CUCV

No I did not. I cleaned the old ones. Do I need to buy new ones and why? Any thing else to be down before I put the heads back on? Thanks for your reply.

Mike

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Yes you do because they are TTY torque to yield. They are not reusable, when you torque them they stretch, so you dont have to ever retorque them later after installing the heads. Hope that helps.

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Why are you replacing the gaskets if there is only 15000 on the engine?

6. 84CUCV

I was told I needed to pull the head to get the part of the gp that broke off. So since I went that far i thought it was the right thing to do. New bolts are going to be expensive right? Great more money i don't have just yet. I am wondering now if this is worth it. Everyone keeps telling me these moter are no good and everytime I turn around it is something else. Well, thanks for your help tybee. Mike

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

The motors are just fine i have a M1009 that i have put almost 40000 miles on without any problems. Are the same people that tell you these motors are junk the ones that told you to pull the head to get the plug tips out? Sorry to be the one to tell you you can get them out by removing the injector. The head bolts arent that expensive 21x2 at autozone. You should also join the Diesel page, its a wealth of knowledge for our trucks.
    rugger

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I really hate to be the one to bearer of bad news!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

But I work on 6.2L all DAY LONG!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif When a GP breaks off, all you do is take a punch and punch it into the cylinder!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Then put the new ones in and start her up, don't rev it, and in about 10.2 seconds..... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif bam, the head comes out the exhaust!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif That's the way I do it every day!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

That is a very cheap and risky way to do things. I take it from what youve said that you work in the military where if an engine siezes all you have to do is throw a new motor in, but when it comes to civilians who dont have all this money to throw around then its not good advice, what if it gets stuck in between the exhaust valve and seat on the way out and the valves hit a piston, then what do you tell the person, oops, it doesnt usually happen that way. Im sorry to sound like a jerk, but this is what I believe.

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I think I paid $17 at autozone for both sets. Check prices I think checker also sells the same brand bolts and will beat autozones price. People get the old 350 diesel mixed up with the 379 (6.2). And the 82 and 83 were the years with all the bugs for the 6.2. I love my diesel, it just burns too much damn oil.

11. 84CUCV

I thought that the piston and the valve clearance was to tight because of the high compression? That is what I think anyway. Now,that sucks i did not know I could pull the injector!! CRAP!! I am going to autozone soon to get what i the bolts. Thanks for the replys. Mike

12. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Removed by Batmanjr Due to Respect! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. 84CUCV

Tybee, Having no luck at all. No autozone around here. Everyone I went to it is going to be at least 60 for new head bolts!! That hurts. thanks for the help mike

14. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Damn thats alot for bolts. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

15. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Re: New to this and trying to replacing my head gaskets and I messed up........ *DELETED*

Post deleted by DieselDan

16. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Removed by Batmanjr due to Respect! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Are you trying to entaginize me????

[/ QUOTE ]
    I ain't got TIME

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh... Your spelling and grammar are on par with your mechanic advice... BAD. I guess you put your dictionary on the "Not Important" shelf along with your maintenance TBs (is that what the Army calls them?)

It makes me feel good (not) to know that you are maintaining the equipment that is used in the defense of my country. I hope your maintenance practices aren't also followed by the rest of your shop. I mean, GOD FORBID you have to actually WORK and DO YOUR JOB. It must really suck when you actually have to work until your job is finished, and someone makes you do it the CORRECT WAY. You better stay in the Army, most people don't make it too far in the real world with that kind of work ethic. You mentioned all the equipment you have to "fix". Maybe if you did PROPER MAINTENANCE they wouldn't break so often.

How can you possibly think, and tell others, that it is a good idea to start an engine with FOD in it?

18. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Removed by Batmanjr due to Respect for this site and this post! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't think the pissing match here is helping anyone out, maybe you guys could take it down a notch before Grimmy or Steve cyber slaps yer asses.../forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Batman, your method obviously works, but it does sound a little on the redneck side (no offense, couldn't think of a better word /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ). I'm guessing nobody here really wants to take a chance with their pride and joy is all. I'm curious if the GP fragments leave any scars on the pistons before they work themselves into the exhaust stream? Have you had to tear any down after doing this to them?

I go to work at 5:30 in the morning before your sorry a$$ even get's out of bed!!!!!! Following that, I don't return to see my wife and family till 8:00 at night

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to crap in your cornflakes but nobody has the corner on the market for working long hours or putting up with stupid crap at work.

Rene

20. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm curious.....Whats your rank? I've got an idea...Just want to confirm it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif