Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to this - newbie questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by catmman, Mar 24, 2002.

1. catmman

catmman Newbie

Howdy all!I'm new to this forum and have lots of questions. Please bear with me as most of them are probably old to you.First I own a 78 2wd with 350 V8, Edelbrock 1406 Performer series carb, Edelbrock intake manifold, K&N Filtercharger. Most everything else is pretty much stock.Here are the questions: What are the largest tires I can put on without lifting the body/suspension? If I do lift, which way to go - body suspension? I saw some add a leafs in Summitts catalog which would lift 1-1 1/2 in. Would this work for bigger tires? What are some good headers, exhaust components? Again saw some heddman headers in smmitt catalog. Want to go from single to double exhaust. How hard is this?Was also wanting to try split fire plugs and wire sets. Are these any good? I know this is a lot of stuff, but would appreciate any info from anyone. Cst isn't an option as such, but I am in the military and live on a budget, but could save.This is a great site! I'm really glad I came across it.Am wanting to do other things to upgrade, but the above cover the first things on my list. Some of these issues come from getting stuck up in the mountains last weekend. Probably shouldn't have gone where I did, but got out all right after a little pushing. Differential also got stuck on a rock, so the tire issue and clearance are something I really want to iron out. Not looking for serious mudding or rock climbing.Again, thanks for any help you can give!Catmman

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check out Fabtech for 2WD lift kits.

Dual exhaust is an easy mod on a 78, Heddman, Thorley, Flo-tech Hooker and Dynomax all make good headers for these trucks. Flowmaster, Dynomax and others all make good sounding and breathing mufflers too.

My opinion is that split fires are a waste of money...regular AC's are fine. Good plug leads like MSD spiral core's are worth the money though.

I'd say 33's with 2 1/2" of lift would do you fine for what you're use would be. You might consider better gearing with an increase in tire size too. 3.73's would do fine with 33's, 4.10's would be good too, although if you do a lot of freeway driving I'd stick with the higher gears.

One last thing...please take the time to fill out your profile. Location and some basic info on your truck really help us out.

Rene

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the board,

As far as the Split Fire plugs, I put some in my s-10 and my opinon along with the concensus I've gotten is they aren't worth the money. I'd get some basic plugs or the ac rapid fire if your wanting the performance plug. As far as headers I'd opt for the ceramic coated headers, the extra money now will save you in a few years. I live in texas and even here the cheap ones get rusted pretty bad pretty quickly. AS far as the exhaust is concerned look around your area and talk to people you can usually get a good deal at a muffler shop if you deal in cash and know some people. As far as mufflers it's all personal opinion, I really wish mine were a little louder than they are but I'm gonna wait. BTW my dual setup only cost me like $220 or so from the headers back all new

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Welcome catmman. The rear of your truck isn't the problem when it comes to larger tires...it's the front. In the rear you can do the "cheapo" shackle flip to get 4" of free lift. Here is the article: http://coloradok5.com/shackleflip.shtml
    In the front you can put spacers under the coils for another "cheapo" lift. That's what I have in my 2WD Blazer at the moment. It's not the best, but it is cheap. Spacers are available at some "good" auto parts stores or here:
    Moore Tool and Supply. PO Box 2011 Emporia Ks. 66801 316-342-3980. The ones I have are cast aluminum...the rubber Autozone ones don't work. As a note a 3/4" spacer lifted my frontend right at 3" due to the geometry involved. I wouldn't recommend that much without balljoint spacers or new upper A-arms. The Fabtech 2WD lift is cool, but it runs about $1400! If ya just want big tires, buy some "prerunner" fiberglass fenders and leave your suspension alone except for some nicer shocks. You can check out my Blazer at my site that's by my sig. I run 35" tires with about a 2 inch lift in the front and the shackle flip in the rear. Oh yeah...here's one more vote to fill out your profile.

5. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

You said that you werent doing any rockcrawling, so hitting your differential on a few rocks shouldn't hurt it. Especially the front diff. It would probably break the rock first!