Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new to this style blazer some questions

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by KENNY, May 17, 2003.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

hello. just purchased a 92 blazer 1500 with a ton of mileage but running well. some questions since i am not familiar with this body style.any thing in particular i shoul or should have looked for . what size tires can i run stock. can i transfer my msd ignition box/ and where is the computer control on this truck? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. bigred350

bigred350 Registered Member

you can run 285/75 on stock wheels. im not sure about the MSD thing.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

behind the glovebox or behind the passenger kicker panel. Not sure which.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

since when can an IFS truck run 33s stock? 285/75s are 32.8x11.5 approximately. I didn't know an IFS could handle that.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the 285s on my truck before the SAS, and if the upper ball joint wasn't wasted, it wouldn't rub, even with the fender flares on it. I saw a truck awhile ago, 2500 4x4 8 lug, that had 33s on 10" wheels. Didn't look bad, but don't know how bad it rubbed, we were going in a straight line down the road.

6. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

IFS can handle that - its only 1.2" taller than a 265. 285s do fit stock chevy 4x4 on stock wheels. if you try running them on aftermarkets, they'll rub.

IFS can handle up to a 35", but that's all i'd want to put on my truck. yea, it'll "handle" bigger than 35s, but it'd be a street queen to do that.

btw, since you got a new blazer, pick upa chilton's manual from the store, it'll tell you just about anything you need to know about specs and maintenance on the truck. dig in your glovebox and read the RPO codes in there. search online for "RPO codes" - and you can see what options your truck was built with.

7. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

i have 31's on my 84 that i was thinking of transfering to the newer truck that's why i asked. but i might just stay stock. expect to hear some more from me as i learn more about the new style body

8. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

cool - you got any questions, ask away /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Before you try to move the tires, read the sidewalls on both trucks. Our '94 Sub came with 16-inch factory wheels. If your new Blazer has 16's, then the 15's from your '84 aren't going to be of much use to you. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you can fit 15" rims off an older k5 on the newer blazer, just takes some caliper grinding.

11. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

actually, if the 15s are 6 lug, they'll fit. and if the tires on those 15s are 31s, they should fit as well. the 31s aren't tall enough to cause any rubbing issues, and i doubt the width would either. what's the type of wheels on the 84? what's the backspacing? that could make a difference.

the only thing i could that 15s being any trouble would be the edge of the caliper rubbing the inside of the wheel. if that's the case, then the caliper can easily and safely be ground enough to not scrape the wheel anymore. i have 15s on my truck, and had to grind the sharp corner off the caliper.

12. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

think i'm going to stay with the 16's which i believe are the original rims. what would be a good beefy tire for street use.thanks for the response guys

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

just street use? I am going with Goodyear 285/75R16 MT/Rs I believe.

14. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

yeah this one will see no mud just some snow. will get another for that stuff.

15. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yeah but then youll be out in the backyard mudding..
    I did on accident the otherday moving some stuff into the basement when it started pouring down rain and now there is 2 really big ruts going down beside my house to the back yard it was crazy tires throwing grass and dirt everywhere the yard was so slick that when i put it in gear in 4 lo to creep outta there it started digging ruts i almost got stuck till i backed up to get a rolling start its a good slope. anyways yeah it was [naughty word] but i made it out of there.... /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net how long do the MT/Rs last on the road?