Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to trucks, looking for suggestions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scooby90, Mar 5, 2000.

1. Scooby90

Scooby90 Newbie

I got a '90 Jimmy full size 4x4 last Wednesday. Now, I am new at this, never owned a 4x4 before. I am also not quite 18. I know quite a bit about cars (trucks) but am looking for suggestions. Considering it is 10 years old and a michigan vehicle, it has a few spots. I am paying $350 (cheap!) to have the rocker panels replaced and the bottom repainted. My vehicle is forrest green and gold. It is really solid. I want to add a few extra trim pieces including a visor. The windows are already tinted. I would theoretically like to put flowmasters on it (maybe headers) but I dont know how much money I will be putting out in gas (see my post in the gas prices). I already have Rallys. My question is what else can I do to make it sound/run/look better! Thanks!

Nicolé

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

The best advice I can think of is to prioritize what you want. Do you want it to function on the trails, mud or as an asphalt pounder. Do you want it to look really nice and sound cool but not go off-road. First decide what you are going to do with it then that will direct you to what mods should be done for your specific application. This will help the people here give you ideas on how you want to set your truck up.

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

3. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

If you want it to stay pretty, keep it on the street. If you start 4 wheeling you will scratch, dent, over-rev and break things (which is more fun than you can imagine). Driving off road is very tricky, just dont push it to far and use the buddy system it will save you from destroying it trying to get out of the mud.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I believe that headers and Flowmasters might just improve your fuel economy (but of course with all that thunder underneath you'll want to hear it often and there goes the economy.) As long as you don't mash the pedal often you'll benefit from the exhaust mods.

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)