Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to trucks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fried_guy, Mar 7, 2007.

1. fried_guy

fried_guy Registered Member

I'm a somewhat experienced small block chevy engine builder. I used to work on street/strip car engines for friends and family. I'm completely new to trucks.

I recently purchased a 1977 blazer cheyenne w/ tow package and a sbc 400 engine. It's primary use will be street and light-to-moderate offroading. I'll be rebuiliding the engine when time and money allows.

I was originally going to lift the truck 6" from stock (referencing the pictures I've seen of stock 77 blazers), but it looks like it's already lifted. I'm running 31" BFG all terrain tires and have tons of room under the fenders.

Did any of the 77 blazers have a stock lift on them? I don't see any lift blocks or suspension modifications.

Thanks,
    Casey

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

No stock lift.

3. 1978Blazerk5

1978Blazerk5 1/2 ton status

pictures

4. fried_guy

Here's a pic

[​IMG]

5. 1977k5

Looks taller than stock to me. Maybe a previous owner threw a lift on it?

6. fried_guy

That sure would be nice, it'll save me the hastle. How can I tell what type of lift this is?

Sorry for the noob questions... i know nothing about truck suspensions.

7. 1977k5

Aftermarket springs generally have numbers painted on them. If yours are old, you may not be able to read them. See if you can find anything on the shocks, that may give you a clue as to what brand it might be.

8. fried_guy

Great, thanks a lot.

I'll check that out tonight.

9. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i'd say maybe a LITTLE taller. there are small lift kits, such as 2" and 2.5" available for these trucks. might be one of them. also, zero rate add-a-leaf kits area available in 1"-2" heights, and so are regular add-a-leaves.

based on the space between the rocker panel and nerf bar, a body lift is unlikely.

do the front springs have a positive arch (smiling)? the stockers are basically flat. provides very nice flex.

i plan to stick a 4" lift on mine soon, but the way it sits is not too different from yours.

10. fried_guy

Oh yeah, the nerf bars! I had to look those up in google images :o.

Ok, the body lift lifts the body off the frame, and the suspension lift lifts the frame... gotcha.

I'll look to see if the springs are arched or flat and for anything else related.

11. fried_guy

The front springs are SLIGHTLY arched, and all the bushings for the springs are new(er) and there are some type of plastic pads on the ends of each spring in the spring pack seperating them from each other. It is definately using aftermarket springs.

How can I tell how much it's lifted? Just measure the frame to ground clearance?

Thanks for all your help.

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah...you could measure the clearence between the fram and the ground as long as you know the height numbers for a stock K5. I cant help ya there. Anyways, sounds like a 2" lift to me. The things you refer to between the spring packs are slippery (often made of teflon) to keep the springs moving nicely when they flex. What brand of shocks are on there?
    -Harrison

13. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

mine is still sitting stock, for now. i'll try to remember to take some measurements for you.

14. fried_guy

I couldn't tell what brand they were. They are aftermarket, but they still look 10 years old or so... caked with grime. And the bushings are cracking, so they've been there a while. What's nice is that I don't see any signs of damage to the undercarriage. No scratches, no dents, etc... I think I got a good deal. :laugh:

That would be great if you could take measurements for me... thank's a million.

15. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

I was talking to a buddy of mine who talked to another guy (yeah I know starting to sound rumorish) who was convinced he had a '77 with a stock lift and he was ranting about how rare it was. I didnt really beleive it, I'd sure like to take a look for myself tho