Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New to Wheeling in AZ...

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by m1ndless, Feb 19, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Hey whats up guys, I am new to the 4x4 scene, ive lived in az my whole life (19 years) Yeah I know I am young, so dont give me crap. :D

What are some good places around here? I live up near cave creek & 101 area, and I know table mesa is one of the closest, right? Any other places? I am new to the off roading "scene" so I wont be rock crawling anytime soon. I wanna just romp, and do some fun stuff.

2. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

welcome to the board man.. just be yourself and nothing more.. i have only been on here for a year or so now and have some of the best friends that people could have... also pays to know people... just be yourself and come out to the meetings and stuff about trail closures and it will be kewl.. nate:D

3. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

butcher jones isn't too far, but it isn't anything fancy, just alot of smooth trails, and sycamore creek, but there is a ton of places, post up when you plan on going and more then likely someone here will be willing to go too.

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Finally!!! Someone who lives up by us!

6. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

where you at? im off 35th and beardsley

Im in about the same boat as you mindless, except i dont have a rig yet.

7. justhorsinaround

Tatum and Thunderbird. Not to far freeway wise.

8. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

yeah I live right by Costco on Cave Creek and 101. Thaks for the welcome. I just bought my 79 blazer a few days ago, it seems to run good, but not in real off roading condition yet.. there is a few bugs I need to work out. (carb leaking gas, radiator leaking a little coolant) luckly no oil leaks yet.

9. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

First off, welcome. CK5 is great and Phoenix is one of the places with the most active wheeling members. Lots of opportunities to get in on runs, etc., with the AZ guys, just keep your eyes peeled in here. Next October is Blazer Bash in Moab. Read up and start planning your trip if you think you can make it.

I'm just off I-17 and Northern. I'd like to get in on some mild to moderate stuff, too. I can drive and my rig is locked, but I'm only on 33's and would like to avoid body damage. Most of the guys around here like to wheel the wilder stuff- I would too if my rig (and pocketbook) could take it. It's going to be awhile before my truck is ready for that stuff.

Keep in mind that most of the popular wheeling spots are in serious danger of being permanently closed due to careless wheelers. There are occasional land use meetings and trail cleanups if you have time to help.

10. justhorsinaround

Double that on the closures. Don't need to be all wild to come out and play. We wheeled for a long time with open differentials and 33's.

11. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

yes, you do allan.. be wild, VERY WILD, MUHAHA

12. blazenwhip

blazenwhip 1/2 ton status

Welcome bro. I am also on your side at 35th Ave and Greenway. Feel free to look me up if you need help with anything.

13. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Anyone heard of green river? Its like 106th st and Dynamite? My friend goes wheeling out there alot, but not sure if it is legal, does anyone know?

Also, is it illegal to do a little wheeling down by the lake at bartlett? I know you can drive right up to the lake down by the flats so I wasnt sure if that was okay??

14. blazenwhip

blazenwhip 1/2 ton status

Verde River that is. Certain times of the year your not allowed to cross the river due to wildlife preservation...there is a mating season for some animal back there. Some area b/t Bartlett Dam and Needle Rock is permanately closed because of a Bald Eagle Nest along the river. At least that was the case a few years back.

I'm actually going to Needle Rock Sat evening. Having a BBQ..mess arround a little.

15. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Well I know bartlett lake isnt closed because I was there last weekend, but I mean there is roads that go right down to the lake bed, thats okay to go down in my truck right?

16. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Flats are open for fishing and camping .

Wheeling is gone for now . Fire damage to FR42 . Unknown when they will let us wheel there again , if at all anymore .

18. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

So can I drive right up to the lake then or no? Just to onload my quad and camp down by the water, is that legal?

19. SUB602

SUB602 1/2 ton status

Dont mean to cut-in, but i am a new member to this forum and saw you said something about meetings in AZ. Where do you have your meetings at? I just bought my K-5 and its far from ready for the trail, but i did complete the backway to Crown King in my 98 GMC Suburban K1500 Stock. Sure did impress he heck out of me.