Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEW TO WHEELING

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I JUST BOUGHT A 76 K/5 BLAZER FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER. IT'S ONLY GOT 83,000 MILES ON IT. IT'S GOT A 400 CID SMALL BLOCK, AUTO TRANS, FULLTIME 4 WHEEL DRIVE, 373 GEARS. THIS TRUCK IS ALL ORIGINAL. I WOULD LIKE TO SET IT UP FOR OFF ROADING. WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMEND I DO FIRST ??? I WANT TO DO SOME ROCK CRAWLING AS WELL AS MUDDING. THIS TRUCK IS MY DAILY DRIVER, SO I CAN'T GET TO RADICAL

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what axles does it have? if they aint 1-ton... thats the 1st upgrade! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

first DONT YELL second fill out your profile third if you want to rock crawl then you are going to need to beef up the axles so you would want to run a 14ff rear and a dana 60 front if you plan on going over 36in tires you also need to decide how big of tires you want to run and lift it enough to fit them

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

no you don't NEED a 14b full-floater rear end, everyone and their friggin dog runs them. not that they're bad axles, i never said they were but try to be original. like a dana 70 or 80, 14b semi-floaters have better claerance than a full floater too. rocks require gearing suspension travel and beefyness. all 4, this site is obsessed with/forums/images/icons/smile.gif, oh and those tire fitment tables, ignore em, you just need to become friends with your saws-all! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

ps, this is muddysub so if you wanna get mad about the 14bff comment, get mad at me, not mudbogAD.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

IT'S ALL FACTORY STOCK. I BOUGHT THIS BLAZER 1 WEEK AGO. DROVE IT 500 MILES TO GET IT HOME, IT'S BEEN PARKED SENCE. I GET PAID MONDAY, GOTTA GET THE DONUT GASKET REPLACED BEFOR OL'JOHNNY LAW TICKETS ME. IT'S A LITTLE ON THE LOUD SIDE. WHAT DO YOU RECOMEND FOR AXLES ??? WHAT SHOULD I GET THEM FROM ??? ( SORRY ABOUT THE YELLING, MY CAPS LOCK STUCK )

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

First off if ya are new to wheelin go and see what ya can and can't do.
    The first thing I would do is get a set of decent tires. Not all terrains either.
    Go out with some one and have fun , then as ya get used to the rig ya can upgrade to better stuff.
    If you are strapped for cash get some 33's and trim, if ya have the dough get a 4" lift and 33's.
    But if ya want to go out and not get too stuck get some decent tires.
    As for axles.. hey I aint gonna try to lie.. Go one ton.
    If you wheel the rig with any regularity then just get it over with.
    A 14 Sf is good but it is still a semi floater.
    A 14FF is a shoe in unless it is out of a 1 ton, which is why we all run them, not to mention that they can be had for $100 4:10 's.
    A D70 is not that much bigger and will not just bolt in.
    A Detroit for a D70 is a lot more than $300 or if you are like me ya can just weld the 14FF up.
    The only drawback with the 14FF is that it has a limitation of 5:13 gears, and unless ya are gonna go with some bigass tires that is not needed.
    I am gonna go with 4:88 and 38.5 tires.
    The only reason to go with a D70 is to get the low low gears.
    Like ya want to run 54" tires then 6:17's are needed.
    I paid $250 for my D44 8 lug and 14FF with 4:10s.
    It all boils down to what kind of wheelin ya are into and what the area has to offer.
    Alot of guys here make their 1/2 ton stuff last and it works for them.
    Then again I just witnesed a built rig trash a $300 shaft on the begining of a trail.
    Go wheelin and have fun first then decide what needs to be built up.
    Be warned though once it starts it aint never done. LOL

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE. AS TO WHAT THE AREA I LIVE IN HAS TO OFFER, I LIVE IN RAPID CITY, SD. GOING WEST WILL PUT ME IN THE BLACK HILLS. I'VE SEEN ALOT OF OLD MINER ROADS AND LOGGER ROADS I REALLY WANT TO GO ON. THERE IS A LOCAL 4X4 CLUB I PLAN ON GETTING INVOLVED WITH. (BLACK HILLS 4 WHEELERS) THE HILLS ARE GREAT FOR ALOT OF ROCK CRAWLING. GOING EAST OF TOWN IS THE BAD LANDS AND THE PLAINS. MUDDING, MUDDING, AND MORE MUDDING.

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

wow just read yer profile..
    hey don't be shy.
    besides my job and family 4 wheelin has become an obsession of mine.
    I started out with a 78 K5 and now it has a 465/205 and 3/4 ton axles.
    I have a set of 8' srings in the shed and am going for broke . LOL
    Getting involved with a club is a great way to start.
    the folks in it will help ya out and point in in the right dirrrection to build up.
    We just had our first club run and I was the lil guy LOL.
    But not for long.

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

your truck is a pretty good base to begin with, i see no reason to build a truck beyond your capabilities, as you get more experienced, then you can/will decide what is best for you and your truck, i think the black hills is a good group from what i have read and they should be able to help in your adventure to build your blazer and SHOULD be able to give you some support over your last addiction because these 4x4's can become quite a money pit, but better for you, welcome to the offroad brotherhood...jeff

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

THANKS FOR THE NOTE OF SUPORT.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

follow the local paper classifieds and post "WTB" posts all over the internet for a set of 1-ton axles. Dana 60 front and full floating 14 bolt rear.... believe me, you will NEVER regret the upgrade. After you swap those in, its all down hill. Lifts, tires and all that stuff is no problemo,

J

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Since you are new to the "sport", start out stock and work your way up.

Don't go jumping into the taller or even tallest lifts and biggest tires just yet.

Learn about your truck. Get a feel of what it can and can't do. Learn about your limits with it, too. Upgrade as you go along on areas you feel that would best improve your truck, to your ways.

Too many people who have no experience off roading just buy a stock truck and jump right into lifting and big tires, etc. and go out on their first excursion and then get into trouble by wrecking, rolling, breaking down, etc.
    This type of inexperience will lead to very short tempers on the trails with others who are trying to get by you or whatever.
    Afterall, no one wants to be stuck behind a beginner. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

So, start out mildly. Drive your truck on and off the roads to get the feel and learn about it's power and capabilities it has. No two trucks are alike. Once you have "conquered" your rig, then you can look into modifying it in areas you feel would better improve it.

Whether you start with the motor, or even the drivetrain, just start with something that needs it more than the next part. It don't make sense to buy 38" tires right now when the motor could be a stock 6 cylinder! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Start off with a new motor (in this case) and install a V-8 and learn the motor again. Learn the truck all over with the new motor.

Now when it comes to lift and tires, start off with a mild lift, like 4" and smaller tires, like 33". Learn the truck all over again with that set up and what it can and can't do. Do some mild off roading, mud, rocks, whatever suits you.
    Once you have gotten the feel, then you can consider taller lifts and larger tires. But again, work your way up. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

One thing to think about as far as being a "newbie" at the sport, when you do something to your rig that is way beyond what you have ever experienced, you better be careful when off roading somewhere without the experience and suddenly having an accident. Such accidents that might hurt or kill you or other people would result in lawsuits.

Hell, if you jacked your rig to the max and go out the first time, you may have a rollover or whatever and decide once you get out of the mess, "That's it, I'm done with off roading". Your first time out could be your last! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

13. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Also keep in mind even when you are experienced you can roll. I did 6 times.(no fun) Like it has been said already go slow and work your way up to the difficult trails, because the difficult trails normally cause alot of body damage, broken parts, and rollovers. As for rockcrawling the lower you are to the ground the better, as in 4" lift and 38s or 42s. As for mud you want to be taller so you dont get stuck as easy. So you will need to compromise, or pick one that you really want to do. Wheel stock for a while with some 31" mud tires and get use to it. Then next good step would be 2.5" lift and 33s with lockers, then 4" 35s, then go from there. Thats what I did. It helps you learn the limitations of the truck, not your limitations. A well built truck will go farther then your experience and could cause alot of damage to you and others.

Dan

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'M MORE INTRESTED IN MUDDING. I ALSO WANT TO DO SOME TRAIL DRIVES. I WAS THINKING ABOUT A 6" SUPENSION LIFT AND 35'S. THAT'S AS FAR AS I'LL PROBLY GO. I MIGHT DO SOME LIGHT ROCK CRAWLING, BUT I KNOW THAT I REALLY WANT TO GO MUDDING. I'LL DO SOME ENGINE MODS LIKE COMP CAMS EXTREAM 4X4 SERIES CAMSHAFT, A DUALPLAIN HIGHRISE INTAKE MANIFOLD, HOLLEY 4BBL, AND HEADERS. I'LL GET THE 1 TON AXELS WITH 4:56 OR 4:88 GEARS AND LOCKERS

15. thatK30guy

I like a person who has a plan. This planning will make you or break you. You appear to be on the right track here. You are wise to plan what you want to add to the truck. This type of planning will save much cash in the long run. Some people who don't know exactly what they want, do trial and error, and this ends up costing them money in the long run. Such problems are the wrong lift for the tire, or wrong motor for the desired type of driving and playing, etc. etc. You are thinking along the right track here. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BTW, I would like to give you one opinion about one of the items you have selected, and many others here will agree with me here: lose the Holley 4BBL you have selected, and just stick with the Rochester Q-Jet carb. Either get a brand new replacement Q-Jet, like from Edelbrock, or have your stock one totally rebuilt by a pro.
    Trust us on this. Holley's are not quite "the" carbs to use for off roading. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ditto on the Holley. Also your plan looks very sound. It should save you lots of cash if you stick to your plan. If you know you plan on running 35" tires make sure you go 1 ton with the D60 over the D44. Once you get 35's, you will want 37's then 39.5's, etc. Its just the nature of the beast. The beast being fourwheeling. I have already had this scenario play out along with lots of others here. I had convinced myself, and swore up and down the biggest tires I would need or run would be 33's. Now I know I will have 35's after seeing them in action and from being around here. I also now have the dream of 37's on my future trail only rig. It just never ends.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

HOW ABOUT A CARTER AFB ??? I USED HOLLEY'S ON MY HOT RODS, NEVER HAD ONE ON A OFF ROAD VICHILE. I'LL TAKE YOU'RE ADVICE. DO YOU THINK THE CARTER AFB WOULD BE GOOD OR NOT ???

18. thatK30guy

I had the Edelbrock type like the Carter AFB and was not impressed with that one either.

Contrary to what others say or think about the AFB, I know they are the easiest carbs to work on because all the adjustment screws are right in the front, and readily available for the necessary adjustments.

But the Q-Jet is a carb that just can't be beat. I cannot praise it enough. It is simply one of the best things GM ever made, bar none!
    These carbs will work way better off road, especially on hills, than the others. Their floats are centrally located, whereas the Holley has the floats on the ends of the body. When you get off camber with the Holley, there is more gas on one end than the other and this causes fuel starvation and will bog you down. The Q-Jet has centrally located floats, so no matter how crooked you get, the fuel is still in one place.

You can still bog a Q-Jet though. One trick to do to prevent this problem is to run a rubber hose slightly higher on the vent tube.
    I have seen people do this trick on a Holley, which some have two vent tubes and they used a rubber hose to connect from one end of the vent to the other. They notched a small hole in the rubber hose at the top and in the middle to allow the bowls to breathe. Not pretty, but it seemed to work.

Can't say too much about the Carter and Edelbrock AFB, except that I was not impressed with the Edelbrock.

I have the Edelbrock Q-Jet #1904 which is the electric choke model. It works good and has plenty of power, but I need to take it to a pro mechanic to get it tuned just right. No complaints with this carb at all except for the gas mileage. Of course, running a 454 will do crappy wonders for mileage though! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

19. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run a holley. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    You said you run holley's on your hot rod... If you know how to tweek a holley then you can probally get it to work for ya offroad too. First off, Adjust the float level to like 1/4" or a little more below the sight plug if your going to be getting in steep or off camber situations.
    No sense in replacing it until you adjust the carb and take it wheeling to see how it performs. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

... but a lot of the guys around here are partial to Quadrajets. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

20. thatK30guy

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

... but a lot of the guys around here are partial to Quadrajets.

<hr></blockquote>
    That's right! I'm one of them and always will be...unless I can get fuel injection cheap enough somehow. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif