Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Tool, PS Pump tightener, no more crushed housing!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by uglytruk, Apr 1, 2006.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    I was changing the belts on my 6.2, and ran into the same prob I've had since I had a '67 283 back in 1978. How to tighten the PS pump without crushing it? Well, the solution wuz zo zimple, I can't believe I never tackled it before.
    You'll need a welder and some scrap steel. Hopefully, the pix will explain all. Don't forget to notch the "tooth" to allow for the seam on the pump.
    I used a lug wrench socket to receive the handle to be able to use the tool on different engines. Each one will have a different angle to clear obstructions up top... ENJOY...

PS pump tool, speedo gear 3 31 06 008.jpg

PS pump tool, speedo gear 3 31 06 006.jpg

PS pump tool, speedo gear 3 31 06 005.jpg

PS pump tool, speedo gear 3 31 06 007.jpg

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Guess I'm dumb... I don't see how it works?:confused: :confused:

3. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

looks like a lever to tension the belt? but this one doesn't apply leverage to the pump housing?? did I win??

heheh all my stuff has serpentine belts. OOOOHHHH

4. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Laughing at my invention??? Well I never...

Oh boyyyyyy.
    It just grabs the pump (bracket) on the non-damage side. You push the bar towards the tstat, and voila, no prybar dent on the soft pump. It works great!
    I'll investigate posting a brief video. Can it be done right on/from the forum? Or do I have to link it?

As far as serpentine belts go, you're lucky to live in the next century. Me, I'm just getting used to locking steering column... :haha:

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

nice idea man. allthough ive found that i can put the curved end of a mini-crow bar on the frame rail the tip of the curved end under that same portion of the bracket. i just rock the bar towards the fender and it's all tensioned and stuff.

i do like your tool a lot though.

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Very nice...I could have used something like that a few times. Nothing like the chevy mating call to make you want to tighten the belts! (very embarassing when wheeling with a bunch of jeep guys).

7. bnate

bnate 1/2 ton status

My power steering pump will thank you. I was hoping that my pump wasn't starving from any dents when tensioning.

Thanks for the idea.