Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, Jun 17, 2003.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I went out and got me a new tool set! Got everything on sale too. Gotta love Craftsman's sales. 175 piece set, box, and socket holders for the bargain price of $175. Its a really nice set. I love that, "you break it, we give you a new one" policy. I've used it before... it was defintely the tools fault, not mine. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Kris

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

yeah, my wife twisted my arm enough to buy a set a while back. i buy so much crap at sears im in the craftsmans club. i picked up a 174 piece set no box for 89.99. it was on sale 20% off and then my craftsman club got me an extra 10% of on top of that. was rather nice.
    then i had to go buy more crap to organize all the new crap.
    Good buy man.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifGrant

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    then i had to go buy more crap to organize all the new crap

[/ QUOTE ] That is classic! Thats what I ended up doing too. In the process of getting all nice a pretty so I can go get everything greasy tomorrow.

Kris

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Craftsman Club rules! I got a 19.2V cordless drill for $50 between the regular sale price and the Club discount. I've probably saved $300 as a Club member... definitely a good deal.

5. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I just had 6 Craftsman 144 piece sets donated to my agriculture mechanics class. Man what a surprise. We sure needed them. They said they came from an anonimous donor. I got a call from the local Sears store that I had sme packages that i neeeded to pick up.

Very nice addition when funding is low today in our schools.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ive been looking at chraftman tool set but every thing has sae and metric mix i just want sae

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

The set I picked up was sae and metric mix. There is plenty of sockets and wrenchs that are sae to do just about everything I need to do. I figure I can use the metric stuff at the junkyard or helpin out my buddy's with there stuff.

Kris

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Ask at the register for a copy of the master tool catalog (I think that's what its called). Craftsman has MANY tool sets that are all-SAE or all-metric, they just don't necessarily keep them on the shelves in the store. The combo sets sell mostly to the casual user, while the all-SAE and all-metric sets sell mostly to enthusiasts and pros.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I got a Mechanics set a few years back that was all SAE...no point in having a bunch of useless sockets and wrenches laying around /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

actually I have some metric, but they are all cheapie sets, Craftsman for working on my truck, cheapie for the stuff I use on friends vehicles LOL

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You guys must have some pretty old stuff to not need the metric tools. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif My '75 K5 used to be all SAE, until the '87 'vette engine went under the hood. It's a mix of SAE and metric. The '91 S-Jimmy is mostly metric and the '94 Sub seems to be all metric. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

But now that you've started the collection, beware! The tools are nearly as addictive as the K5! I've got the two-hundred-and-something piece mechanics set, the large wrench sets (in SAE and metric), crows foot wrenches, torx socket set, allen socket set, torx screwdriver set, Saltus wrench set (open on one end and an attached socket on the other!) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif, a zillion screwdrivers, prybars, ignition wrenches, 8-10 assorted hammers, etc., etc., and a 3 section deep drawer tool chest, with the ball bearing slides, just to keep it all in. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Oh yeah, next you have to start duplicating many of your tools, so you don't have to search between the "home" tool box and the "trail" tool box to find a wrench that you need. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

You've only just begun.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Saltus wrench set (open on one end and an attached socket on the other!)

[/ QUOTE ]
    What do you use yours for? I've got a set and all I ever use them for is oil changes. Why did I buy them? I didn't my dad gave them to me after not useing them for 25 yrs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah, next you have to start duplicating many of your tools, so you don't have to search between the "home" tool box and the "trail" tool box to find a wrench that you need

[/ QUOTE ]
    Or trippling up; best stuff at work, good stuff at home, cheep stuff stays in the truck. Just wait untill you meet the the Snap-On man $$$$

12. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

the snapon guy is so nice... the mac guy sucks and the matco guy is pretty cool LOL

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

yeah, you can NEVER have to many half inch and 9/16ths and 5/8ths of anything.
    especialy with a older chevy. you can take a truck appart with nothing but those 3 sizes.

with my 97 Geo, i use a lot of metric, and my 03 sonoma is ALL metric. then a bunch of parts on my 74 blazer are metric, some brake parts, and the aftermarket lights and other crap. so i carry both around with me. i even have a tool box dedicated to be bolted into the roll cage if i ever get it done. and if the truck ever drives.
    Grant

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Saltus wrench set (open on one end and an attached socket on the other!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you use yours for? I've got a set and all I ever use them for is oil changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're awesome for when there isn't room for a socket and the head of a ratchet to both fit in the space available. I don't use 'em often, but it's nice to know they're in the box when I find something that nothing else seems to reach. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

good tip, I usually use a ratcheting box when I can't get a socket in. I'll try the Saltus next time it's being a bitch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif