Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new toy (axle)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 24, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My new 60
    [​IMG]
    and the screwed up lug nut that is the reason the rim is still on there
    [​IMG]
    Any thoughts on how to get it off? I tried burning it down and pounding the rim off but the rim acts as a giant heatsink and it won't heat up the lug /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Gonna try and air chisel the crap out of it.

2. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

yeah...air chisel sounds good to me. Even if it doesn't work at least it burn off a little frustration!! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

3. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

center punch the stud and drill it out with increasingly larger bits till you hit thread. should pop off easy then. I would replace that stud anyway after the abuse it's going to go thru.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the stud was done anyway. There is another one thats broken so I wasn't worried about replacing more than one. I was able to grind it flush with the wheel then heat and burn out just the lug so the rim came off nice and easy. Punched the lug nut out of the rim and the rim could still be used if I had all 4. Gonna go back to the yard since these are some nice rims and tires

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Looks cleaner than mine /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ha the other side is nasty /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif think I am gonna tear it down and sandblast the whole thing.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Now get out the torch and start knocking off all that weird ford stuff and normalize the whole thing!

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

remember these parts are going onto my Chevy 60 so no torching /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif except the shock brackets those things are torch fodder /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif