Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New toy - pic included

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Nov 17, 2005.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

:D
    I now have a 1989 suburban. It will give its heart and soul to my blazer. The TBI system, top to bottom, and eventually the serpentine belt system will reside under the blazer's hood. The tight and leak-free 700R4 and TC will be going to a friends wrangler, while the immaculate interior is going into a 1978 pick up (atleast the buckets will).

Now I must debate throwing the grill and rad support away or pulling it to sell here. Also, I need to decide to keep the other seats and over-head console or not. The engine will get torn down or sold out right.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  2. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Arg I still cant figure out what is better TBI or carb, ya'll are killing me!

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

wow, all those parts i could use, and you are soooo far away :(

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I've made my Quadrajet not flood when tilted, not off-the-shelf stuff but not hard either. The TBI guys will have to pitch in with their experiences, but I've heard the early ones, well you know how it goes.:D

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

early ones what??? :confused:

i have personally never had a problem with my TBI, actually love it. it's great off road as well. :D

6. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

TBI hands down is the system to have. although a quadrajet isn't far behind it, but i'd take my tbi anyday.

7. gauder

gauder Banned

If you don't use the grille and rad cradle and don't sell it for a deal to another CK5 member, post it up on one of the custom truck sites. You'll probably be able to sell it for some nice coin there.

eg: www.gmfullsize.com or www.fullsizechevy.com

8. fordfreak300

fordfreak300 Registered Member

yeah I agree with teh so far way. I have an 89 burb I am converting over to 4x4. I can't see the pic cause I havn;t paid to the site to be a full memebr but if it is 4x4 I coulda bought teh remaining burb from you for my 4x4 conversion.

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip. I'll try posting there.

Now I need a blazer TBI tank to start the swap. I feel bad parting it out, but I have found homes for most of the good parts already. The interior is just beautiful except the carpeting. All the seats are in great shape, even the drivers bucket. Too bad they are blue, I would consider them for the blazer. The tub is rust free! Before I let the crusher have it, and its ready to go, I'll post up here to see if anyone wants it.

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Yup, its 4x4. And, it doesn't look like its EVER been used. The tranny, TC are clean, and the front axle looks very clean too.

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

in my eyes.... they have places in life. need sheer power? carb all the way. want efficency and off camber throttle... TBI.

TBI takes a lot of money to build 400+ horses and i think is limited to just over 550 horses.
    grant

12. fordfreak300

fordfreak300 Registered Member

I have a 3/4 tone burb so i know the tranny and the adapter for the TC are wrong for me. I have a 502 BBC in this baby. Unless it was a 3.4ton burb with the larger front axel and 8 lug hubs it would be wrong anyway. I guess in reality the only thing I could use would be the spring hangers and the engine mounts. WHidch will all come from my donor truck when I get it. When you go to get rid of the extra stuff don't forget about pirate4x4.com either. You might be able to unload some of the stuff there.

13. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Cool deal man! You will LOVE the EFI system on the trail....

If you part the truck out and don't use the fuel tank I may be interested in it.

A thirsty 383 + only 1 16 gal saddlebag means refilling a lot.

Mike

14. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Mike, if you want the tank, I will save it for you. The pump is good - it ran when I hooked a battery to the truck and tried to start it. Its a BIG tank, unfortunately it wont fit in the blazer without too many mods. Tomorrow I start my hunt for a TBI blazer tank. Maybe you could come up for the Cascade winter baja (its still tentative) in Feb and pick it up...

15. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Mike, are you interested in the 4-headlight grill and rad support? I could offer you a package deal!

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

WIsh there were a simple way to get it to So CA. My '79 needs a body donor. The blue interior would work too, the 3 rows of seats I put in are already blue.