Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new tranny cooler question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thfonz98, Apr 6, 2006.

1. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

im ordering the b&m 24,000gvw 11"x6"x1.5"( http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/100/130/130-70264.jpg ) tranny cooler which ill install across from the stock oil cooler on my DD 91 k5.

is there anything i need put any sealants(not teflon tape is it) on the threads of the adapters that come with the kit?

also how can i get any leftover shavings out of the cooler just in case there is any from manufacturing of the cooler. or not worry about that?

ps... also got me a derale 2qrt.+ 700r4 pan and all new kyb monomax shocks($30each)....love the tax refund check!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You don't need any sealants. The trans cooler lines are compression fittings. No liquid gets near the threads, they're just there to provide pressure.

You'd have a heck of a time getting anything out of that cooler. Too many convoluted passages inside. But anything that might make it to the trans would just get dumped into the pan. The cooled oil dumps into the pan, then gets picked up through the trans filter on its way to the pump.

3. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

thanks harry.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The cooler you pictured, the adapter does seal on the threads so i would use teflon tape on the threads.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

No it doesn't. The female adapter screws onto the compression fitting of the line that you detach from the factory trans cooler. The male adapter screws into the compression fitting of the factory trans cooler. Both are compression fittings. No sealant required. I have that cooler installed on our '94 Sub and it's never leaked a drop. :cool1:

6. Wyldethang66

Wyldethang66 Newbie

I installed a B&M cooler and was advised to flush cooler with brake cleaner, then clean atf, then using air hose/nozzle blow thru for a bit to clear, and do this both ways to dislodge any debris, and to use teflon sealant or ultra black on threads, should be good to go, have had no issues myself after 30k plus miles. p.s. recommended every time u do tranny service.