Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new tranny info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by noJeepshere, Feb 21, 2004.

1. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

ok, ive got a five speed overdrive tranny sitting in a garage. its made by new process, has a plate screwed on the side that says: 10-12-62
    then there is some numbers cast in the side that go like this C 91861 AD
    the case is 13 inches long. it bolts to a chevy motor, it was designed for two wheel drive, but want to know if i can put it in my 81 jimmy. the bolt pattern on the back of the tranny looks the same as my sm465. are they? will it just bolt in or do i need to fab up an adapter for it? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif or is there an aftermarket company that makes, or made, parts for this? gas mileage is pretty good (12) for an old beater like mine but speed is not (taching 3600 on flat in 4th,3.73 gears, about 80-85). i would like to decrease the amount of drinking it does for cheep, if i can.
    thanks for all youre help. will post pics of swap if i do it. im thinking of taking it to alaska this summer. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. noJeepshere

forget the tranny, im just going to replace the rear brake cylider and put it up for sale. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif gettin tired of working on the damn thing. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i want somehting i can drive for more than a week without something else going bad. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif first it was the 6 cylinder, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif then the lights, /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif then speedo, /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif then the axle bearing, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif now the breaks. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif what next, the frickin steering? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifi no longer want to drive that thing. anyone want a basically new k5 jimmy? ugh... ok, enough venting.
    by the way, how good is the 6.2? saw an 88 sub for sale with that.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dumping one used vehicle to buy another is just asking for another set of problems.

BTDT, you WILL be working on a used vehicle. Might be mundane stuff, but it could just as likely be the same problems you are currently experiencing.

I'm not saying don't buy used, but that if you do, be prepared to have problems with it. I say cheap piece of junk new car with nice warranty for DD, and older truck to actually enjoy. Thus, you can get to work every day with no hassle, and when you get home, you won't mind working on the truck that takes all your free time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. noJeepshere

with gas prices going the way they are (1.75 and rising) and diesel fuel being $.10 cheaper, and diesels with their good fuel economy, this suburban looks a lot more enticing. besides, its been recently rebuilt, never wheeled and is in great shape. plus hes done all of those old car repairs to it. now he has to sell it because of an accident last fall. and i can only have one car.