Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new tranny....now dead. im tranny stupid

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Roz, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

<background> so i bought a burb from a guy on here a month ago, had pics of a good build and brand new tranny (TCI truck master 700r4) it had been sitting for about a year and some change. first started it up let it run for a bit and it was about 3 quarts low so topped it off. it didnt want to move in rev at first...acted like no fluid. after a couple of taps on the gas it started doing ok. put about 150 mi on it and was doing great. the guys swore to the tranny left and right. time for a road trip.

<problem> so about 200mi into the trip (still runnin tits) i pull over to take a pee on side of road. left it running and in park. go to get a move on and....nothing. doest want to move acts like the fluid is to low. check the fluid, about 1/4-1/2 quart over the full. fluid is clean and good color. by bringing the rpms up it moves in first gear, it locks in and doesnt slip for the most part(if i goose it it does a little but it sounds like a wet hand on a balloon). if i hand shift it to 2nd nothing acts like no fluid. drove it to nearest tranny shop (about8mi) slept in back (burbs are wonderfull) check fluid again...same but has little burnt smell

<tranny shop, am..BFE> they say full rebuild, its toast.$$$ i call another shop ..same. so i tow it back to the house and buy a plane ticket. it sit in my driveway for last 2 weeks till i get home.

<question> is there something simple i could fix (ie filter..pump ect) or is truly a full rebuild? suposedly this thing should have about 500mi on it now. is it possible he messed up anything with the external oil kit or somethin stupid like that? (other dumb things were done to it ive had to fix) i have a spare new stock 700r4 that i got for free but its been sittin for a long time.

any ideas please

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

How was it shifting? Was it shifting fast? If so the TV cable might have been misadjusted and burnt it up but I am no expert. If you have a spare you def have the room to rebuild the spare. A kit with extra clutches for the 3-4 clutch pack and a shift kit is around $250-$300 depending on where you go. I have never done one but could lend a hand possibly.

Ira

3. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Similer to what mine did, i just rebuilt it with my uncle. I have a Th350 and it was the clutches. The ones we took out had burn marks on em with no material left. Trans fluid was okay before and after it stopped going forward.

I got the truck, moved it around the yard, went down one or two streets.. 2 weeks after i got it, 3 days after i last moved it, i go to start it up to move it forward, no dice. Had to put it in low and near redline it for it even to start to want to move. I managed to get it moved about 10 feet on grass revving it like crazy.

I rebuilt my TH350 with my uncle who is a pro, but it wasnt all that hard specially if you buy books. A total overhaul kit+torque converter only cost me 149 bucks at Dacco Detroit.

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

hmm it was shifting right on... no warning at all except the first one with backing it up at the dudes place. i was hot rodding it around a bit before leaving to make sure no weird noiseor anything...did well. i def have room to do a rebuild but never done one.i would welcome the help Ira. Afufo did ure Uncle say as to why such a thing would happen? the tranny guy said it was there was prolly a cause leading to the clutches going, and rebuilding it would only last a few hundred mi......more thoughts please :)

5. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Well, the truck had been sitting in the same spot for 4-5 years, was low on trans fluid at first.. i filled it up as soon as i got it. It showed no warning signs *at all*, and all the sudden forward just dosent work..i was like wtf did someone steal my transmission!? reverse still worked 100% though all the way up untill it was pulled for rebuilding.

We think the reason it failed was because it was missing half the springs in the "piston", and it was missing a clutch disc! It had been (wrongly)rebuilt not too many miles ago because all the other clutches looked brand new. Replaced all clutches and saved the rest as spares.

Check the fluid and everything for debris when it gets opened up by the way

6. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

A 700r is harder to build than a th350. You have to have some special tools to do it. On another note. I'm getting my 700r rebuilt right now with extra clutchs and a bigger servo. I burnt mine up slaming it in drive then reverse getting out of a mudhole drunk. But it did the same thing as yours, didnt slip or anything till I got out of the hole, left it running in park and got my chains then went to drive it and would not go into any gears. Im getting mine rebuilt with extra clutchs and some other extras for $1100 with a 12mounth 12,000 mile waranty. My next best offer was $1800 with a 4 mounth waranty.

7. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Go to Bowtie Overdrives web site and read. Lots of info on the 700r4. Will help a lot in figuring out your tranny and if you want to rebuild it.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

And if not a new level 3 from bowtie is arond $1500 with shipping and core:D . It will handle 600 hp and 650 ftlbs

You could prolly use a level 2 which is aboot $1100.

Ira

9. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

sweet.. not to shabby. ty all for inputs. im still open incase any one has any others

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

check..

Better make sure the tranny cooler isn't plugged up...both the stock one and any aftermarket one you may have....I've seen clogged coolers cause strange things like this to happen,and will definately lead to an overheated tranny..

I'd also FLUSH the cooler(s) out thouroghly BEFORE hooking them to a "new" or rebuilt tranny..usually peices of clutches ,and other shrapnel from the blown tranny is in the cooler,and can ruin a new one in short order..:crazy:

11. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Check my post a couple months back, the guage is key...

QUOTED from CB77GMC...

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194550&page=3&highlight=uglytruk
    I think that most 700r4's go bad is do to bad or wrong adjustments and heat. I just put a 700r4 in place of a th350 I killed. I found the installer kit "PSI & Temp gauge" at BTO for $70. Now after installing trans it shifted fine. But after hooking up PSI gauge to diag port on trans. I found the TV cable "OEM setup" had to move just over ¼" before PSI would rise like it should. If I did not get the PSI gauge to test trans I would have killed it too. Setup is key on a 700r4. Just my 2¢

12. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

oh yeah i agree 100% and its so easy, but unfortunatly i didnt do the install. ive have now had to redo everything this guy did to the truck. even the 14ff is screwed up- bad lol

13. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

I've seen tranny shops blow compressed air both ways thru the cooler. But if junk is in there, nothing short of dismantling will get it out. maybe all trans lines should have a filter. I'll start with mine 1st...

14. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

My guess you're young, as I once was, and ya bought a truck maybe ya shouldn't have bought. Too hacked up. I used to have that prob, but learned my lesson... but still buy lotsa junk. See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eacLnNKxhZM

15. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

lol not young so cant use that one..... and it was all done well and thought through and he ment well from what i can tell, just it wasnt done right. thats why i didnt bother double checking line pressure on the tranny or measuing backlash on the 14 ect..i got it for a decent price so not going to complain to much. just wish he had told me he wasnt sure about how it was all done, then i could have went over it with a fine tooth comb instead takin his word for it, would have saved me a pretty chunk of change :(