Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Tranny options????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Feb 28, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Have a '90 K5. Tranny was rebuilt in '99. Starting to slip again and jumps out of gear. It cost me around $1k to have it rebuilt the first time. I checked last week and I can get a GM reman. from the dealer for $1300 with a warranty. This sounds like a good deal but most people on this site know waaaaay more about K5's and trucks in general than I do so I thought I'd check before unloading the cash. Thanks for the help.

Side note: Like a member said in a previous post I am a relatively new member too and I am truly amazed at the depth of knowledge posessed by many people here. Even more so I am amazed at their willingness to share that knowledge and teach those of us who are trying to learn. Thanks, your help is appreciated much more than you know.

2. shanemcg45

shanemcg45 Registered Member

Quick question. Is it an automatic? Also, is the truck a daily driver, strictly offroad or 1/2 and 1/2.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Automatic. The truck is a daily driver and is in extremely good condition. I do basically whatever I want in it. Tow, travel, etc. Definitely one of the nicest K5's around.

4. shanemcg45

Sorry I'm not gonna be able to give you an answer. I was wondering because I'm going to be in the same boat as you before long and I'm curious as to what everyone on here thinks about your situation. Also, I knew those were 2 of the first questions everyone would ask.

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Well I don't know what your particular situation is but my goal is to have a very reliable solid transmission for a DD. I'm not looking for the cheapest way out I just want a good transmission. I don't mind paying a little more if necessary. I'm sure some of the guys here can offer us a few different options.

6. kjkeiser

kjkeiser Registered Member

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the link. That looks like the best option I've seen so far. It says that the Level 1 is remanufactured. Is the Level 2 new or is it a remanufactured trans. like the Level 1?

8. kjkeiser

kjkeiser Registered Member

Bowtie Overdrives

I believe it is also remanufactured like the Level 1 but with the upgrades listed on that page.

Can't say for sure but if you want to know give them a call.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Phone: 760/947-5240
    Fax: 760/948-0196
    [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17359 Darwin Ave Unit C
    Hesperia, CA 92345
    [/font]
    As I stated it is a future plan, I have not used this unit yet. However I have heard good things about their work. I will be placing it behind a 383

9. shanemcg45

KJ that's exactly what I was looking for too. Mine is going in a daily driver and I plan on putting it behind a 383 as well. I appreciate your 2 cents.

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I didn't look at the level 2 Bowtie reman tranny. However I can speak from experience that buying a reman from GM is a good deal. I run a 4 spd, but several of my buddies with both R4 and 4L60 autos have had exceptional with GM remans and the warranty. Specifically, one guy had the 4L60 in his Z71 rebuilt at 175,000 miles. The next 10,000 miles saw 4 transmissions...the first one paid for and the rest under warranty from a reputable shop. Then he bought the GM reman and put it in himself. It was still doing fine and shifting better than any of the others did when he sold it at 230,000 miles.