Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New tranny, torque converter clutch question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kore0015, Oct 17, 2006.

1. kore0015

kore0015 Registered Member

I have an '80 Blazer. I just bought a remanufactured 350 auto transmission. The tranny looked identical to my old one until I got to the electrical connection. Both trannies have a 2 wire oval plug, but in my old one only one wire was used. This new one uses both wires. I figured out that these wires are for the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch). I guess my old one was internally grounding. This new tranny relies on a ground from an external circuit, I guess. Do I just ground the 2nd wire?

If I don't connect the second wire will my torque converter not lock up? If I hook it to ground will it short the TCC solenoid and lock the thing up constantly? Can I just replace the TCC solenoid with one that grounds inside the tranny?

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am thinking yours has a spark retard for emissions ? I don't think it has anthing to do with the TC ? Pull the pan on your old one and look at the valve body . If it has lockup you should see wiring going to the valve ?

3. kore0015

kore0015 Registered Member

Looks like this is a nevermind. It was the sales guy at the tranny shop that told me this was a problem. He said there was no external/quick fix. The trannies were radically different. After about the 8th call to the transmission shop, the front desk idiot finally went and talked to one of the rebuilders. They said no big deal. Ignore the second wire. So after 2 days of headaches and hours of reading and researching I learned I was sitting on the right tranny all along. What a moron. Oh well. I guess I'll find out for sure once I get the thing running.