Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Transfercase

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Donovan, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

After about 10 years of wanting to build a transfercase I am going to finally build one. What I want to know is, would people buy this transfercase if I built it. The reason I am asking is I have to get a pattern made for the aluminum casting and it is not cheap but it would be mine and I can have new cases cast anytime. So here are the spec on it. First the low range would be between 2.60 to 2.80 to 1 and then a 1 to 1 high range. As a option you could get another gear box with the same 2.60 to 2.80 to 1 in it. So you could have 6.76 to 1 and a 2.6 to 1 and then a 1 to 1. I am looking a pricing it around $1800-2000 for the 2 speed and about $2600-2800 for the 3 speed setup. This transfercase would be the strenght of a 205 but with a little lower range in it. The weight I am look at is around 120 pounds for the 2 speed and about 150 for the 3 speed setup. Let me know what you guys think of this. Thanks

Donovan
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com>www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com</a>
    Got Leafs??

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

do you have one built now?? just wondering how its holding up. age,miles,abuse, etc..?? it sounds good,

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

perhaps you could list advantages of your design over 205 etc

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

4. Ruthiford

Ruthiford Registered Member

why not just cast the 205 case in aluminum and then do the 203 just add extra material in all the right places then we could reuse the gears we have and save weight (and save you some work).Please dont take this the wrong way its a great idea But you can allready get 3to1 gears for the 203 I think that if you came up with an up dated (lighter)case for both the 203 and the 205 you would have a money maker.

5. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Well I can't list all of the advantages because I don't want to give away all of my designs but here is some. The rear output will be larger than the stock 205 which is 32 spline 1.375" OD. The front output will still be 32 spline. The length of the 2 speed with adapter will be the same lenght as the adapter and a 205 for a TH400 setup. This should be shorter than a th350 adapter to 205 setup. The 3 speed will be the same lenght as the 203. Also you should be able to clock the transfercase up so that you will have a flat belly pan with no tunnel or floor pan modifications. I have been machining the case out of billet stock and it has taken a long time to do. I should have the first one done in 6-8 weeks and I will be testing it in my Jimmy behind a 500 Caddy engine this Summer and I hope to have a couple ready for the BlazerBash in August.

Donovan
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com>www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com</a>
    Got Leafs??

6. Ruthiford

Ruthiford Registered Member

that sounds more interesting

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

cool, but why aluminum? thenid need a skid plate. [​IMG] i am quite jealous that you're that far into production, i always wanted to engineer something really wicked, but dont have the means to

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

8. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Nobody else interested in a New Transfercase. I thought people would be more interested then this on it. I guess I will post it to the Pirate board and see if I get anymore repond to it and if not I guess I will not build them.

Donovan
    Got Leafs??

9. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Just build one for yourself and then show some people what you have. Sort of the, if you build it they will come principle. Sounds good to me except maybe kind of pricy. Good luck

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

10. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I think the price may be a major factor, since one could put double 205's in for a lot cheaper and have easy access to spare parts etc. Just my opinion.

Jamie

Pics at <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jlblmkh>http://community.webshots.com/user/jlblmkh</a>

(Formerly heaj1)
    Swimmin like a rock, slingin like a stock, but not for long.

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Jeez...!

Sign my a$$ up...! 120 lbs?! 2 low ranges?!? length of a 203 ?!?

Ship it...!!

Marv

12. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Sounds good to me. If I could replace my np205 with a double case about the same length it would be awesome. Post this over on Pirate and see what happens.

I am interested.

Email me some info if you have any more you did not post.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>