Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Transmission

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FergsK5, Jun 22, 2002.

1. FergsK5

FergsK5 Registered Member

MY current transmission in my 84 K5 died, and needs to be replaced. Aamco quoted me $1300 for a soft rebuild, thats bs and definately not worth it. THere are some in the local classafieds that have been overhauled, and im considering that. Are all the TH700R4 transmissions the same, or are there different types. I need one that will bolt up to my transfer case. Anybody know a good place online with good prices? I'm not made of money, but I dont want junk either.

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

for the easiest swap you need one from another 4WD. the cases are the same but the tailshafts are different lengths and won't fit the transfer case, the truck cases have the provision for the heavy flywheel cover also, the car cases do not. the 700R4's from the S-10 models with the 2.8 engines won't work either, the bellhousing pattern is different, the 4.3 bell pattern from the later models is the same though.
    if possible get a transmission from a vehicle made after '87 but before '94, they had worked out most of the bugs by '87, but they went electronic after '93 and they won't interchange. the V8 versions have more clutches and are a little stronger than the V6 versions. Happy hunting

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Good info previous post, easy ID of '88 and later 700 *cases* (case only, but I can't imagine someone putting old guts in a newer case, but it COULD happen I guess) is a LARGE half circle cast into the passenger side of the case, that passes right through the cooling line ports.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

As everyone else has said. Try to find a 700 from a 88 or newer. The tranny in your truck can be upgraded but they still may have problems. be careful buying one out of the newspaper espically if it has been modified. You have to know what you are doing with a 700r4 to build a strong long lasting one.

Here's some online sites for you to check out.
    700r4.com All these guys do is 700r4 trannys. their site also has some good tech info on 700s. Their base model trans is around 850.00

tciauto.com TCI has been building performance trannys and parts for a long time. They have a good product.

transmissioncenter.net You might want to check out these guys. There are a few people on this board that are runing their "Raptor" 700r4 and they say they like them.

I also highly recomend you get a new torque convertor and a good aftermarket trans cooler when you get the new tranny.

5. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Around here you can get one rebuilt for $600, with all the upgrades, the things are just about bullet-proof. I've been running one with something called the "survivor" kit. It has the extra clutches and stronger sun gear, plus a little firmer shift, the only thing I didn't get is the corvette shift servo.