Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New truck dead already.....HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fjleiter, Mar 18, 2004.

1. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Just bought the Blazer saturday (on a recommendation from a friend who's a ASE Fleet mechanic) 1990 Blazer, ran fine when I looked at, PO delivered it to me on saturday, had the typical small puff of blue smoke when first started but figured I could deal with valve seals later... Sunday I fired it up and tinkered around when I noticed a coolant leak, no time for a new radiator so threw in some rad sealer for the time being (appeared to be leaking around the heater return hose, just a small dribble, enough to leave a small spot on the driveway). Went out monday to tinker some more, leak is gone but now truck is skipping, drove it to a friends house and back about 15 miles and skip got worse, got it home and tinkered around and found that I could pull #1 plug and it ran the same, figure ok.. plugs bad etc... Got new plugs today and before I swapped them I noticed the truck is smoking continuosly now when revved up. Swapped plugs, all look good except #1 which is oil fouled. Put in new plugs and it ran better for about a mile or so then got worse again, got home and pulled the plug while the motor was hot and nearly torched my hand, minute I pulled plug a jet of steam/smoke started pumping out of cylinder, continued to do this for several minutes till I put the plug back in, would compare it to an old tea kettle as far as volume of "steam" that was coming out.
    Here's the problematic part, looks like steam but smells like oil, new plug is soaked with oil as well.... Pretty much guessing the motor is toast. ANY IDEAS ?????????
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

drain the oil and look for coolant would be my suggestion. What color is the exhaust smoke?

3. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

didn't find any coolant in oil, exhaust looks like a combination of oil smoke and steam (looks like when you first start a car on a cold winter day, but this doesn't go away and volume is a lot higher than normal)

4. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Blown head gasket is what it sounds like to me. Sorry for your troubles I hate when something like that happens.

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

yea, sounds like head gasket to me too

its not real hard to fix, very involved and time consuming though