Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new truck opinion

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bhintz, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

well Im at college with little money and the K5 isnt the best with gas and I need a new truck, but Im not selling the K5 just turning it into a trail rig, Im really not sure what to get but It has to be a desiel for gas mileage and to tow the K5, what I want is a military truck with the 6.2 and dana 60 up front so I can swap it into my truck but I dont think the 6.2 will be enough to pull the k5 nor have enough power for the highways, and my other two choices are powerstoke or cummins but I wont have the dana 60 but I will have enough power to do what I want so...

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Get the 1 ton with a 6.2. Later on you could add a banks turbo. Or better yet buy a wrecked duramax and swap it in. I am sure some idiot somewhere has already wrecked theirs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

2004' crew cab long bed SRW Chevy 1 ton HD with the new designed duramax/allison combo. Banks big hoss bundle and you've got 450HP and 1,000 Ft lbs of torque basically on tap. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif uuurrr, maybe thats a little out of your price range. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I would say a 97'-98' dodge cummins, you can make outrageous power with those 2 years.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'd have to go with the cummins if you can afford one...or the powerstroke... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if youre lookin for a diesel dont look at GM! 6.2s and 6.8s are [darn]! the cummins is a great engine but its in a dodge. my dad and roommate have 2003 4 door 4x4 powerstrokes, both 7.3Ls. and they couldnt be happier. i kno its a ford but drive one, you'll love it, trust me. im a die hard GM guy but those trucks have made a believer out of me that ford knows what they're doing when it comes to a fullsize diesel truck.