Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New truck....Silverado or Tacoma?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fabjunkie, Nov 14, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Well we close on our house in Houston on the 30th, and it's then time to get me a new vehicle. I currently have a '97 Grand Prix, which is a good car but it's starting to nickle and dime at 132k. I've got it pretty much narrowed down to a Z71 Silverado or a TRD Tacoma for a truck, or a 350Z for a car. Realistically a truck makes more sense to buy, but the 350Z has the fun and wow factor to it (although I haven't driven one yet).

I used to have an '88 Turbo Supra and I miss the fun I had in that car. So the 350Z would be more of a "I want to be a stupid teenager again" thing, plus I can already count the tickets I would get in it.

Between the two trucks, I'm really leaning towards the Tacoma. I used to have a '95 Pickup (first year of the Taco, last year of the "Pickup") and it was a very good truck. Looking at '04 of each truck, the Taco's have held value much better than the Silverado's. They are both right at $30k new. Two year old Taco's are in the $25-28k range, Silverado's being in the $20-22k range. They both have the same 6500lb towing capacity. I'm sure the Silverado would do better if I was towing all the time, but honestly it won't happen very often, but I want to be able to should the need arise. The Taco gets about 4-5 mpg better than the Silverado. I also want a stick, which I can not get in the Silverado unless I get the stripped down work truck (ain't gonna happen). The Taco is also the editor's and consumer's top pick on edmunds.com. Both trucks have the 5yr/100,000 mile warranty. So all in all, they are pretty damn close to each other in specs.

I drive everything I own like I stole it from the rental company after I took out insurance, so the reliabilty is a MAJOR point with me. My '95 Toy lasted me three years fo abuse before trading it in (still kick myself in the ass for that one) and still had lots of life left even with me behind the wheel.

Oh, and we're thinking about trading the wife's '04 F150 (only 34k on it, but the warranty is about to expire) in at the same time and getting two trucks (this would be more likely to happen if we get the Taco). We're about 3-4k upside down on it and the thinking is that we can probably get a better deal buying two cars, get out from under the F150, and not have to worry about resale again down the road.

Do any of you guys have experience, good or bad, with either one of these for a dd, camping wheeler, etc?

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The tacoma I would think you would get better gas milage. I have not driven a taco, but I have driven the tundra. The tundra is a good truck, but the 4.7 seems a little under powered conpaired to the 5.3 in the chevy. If it were me Id get the chevy, or wait for the supercharged 5.7 in the tundra. I have yet to drive a 5.7 tundra so I have no clue, how they compare now.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I vote for the taco.... One of the best things about Toyotas is that they hold their resale value! Plus you'd get better mpg like Jek said....

If I could afford it right now, I'd be driving a TRD Taco Double Cab...

4. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

If you don't mind spending the same money for a mid-size as you would a full-size then go w/ the Taco. I drive a Z71, but I work at a Toyota and Nissan Dealer in the Parts Dept. As far as quality and reliability, you can't beat a Toyota. We are about 30 miles south of Houston, if you're interested I can hook you up with a good, honest salesperson. Or wait till early next year for the new Tundra. Supposed to be a hoss. 300+hp, 400+ft lb. A few more body configurations than the current Tundra.

Gary

5. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Yeah I looked at the '06 Tundra, but I really hate the dash (looks like a cross of the F150 and a mid-90's Taurus, of course revamped in '07) and I didn't like the way it handled. That may have been because it was 2wd. :dunno: I like what I've seen of the '07 so far, but I don't want to wait until Feb. One of my friends is all gung-ho about the Titan, but that is the most unproportional truck I have ever seen. Something about just doesn't sit right.

g_mo - Thanks for the offer on the salesman, but I'm in Tulsa now and won't be back in Houston ever, if I can help it. (we're doing the closing through fedex) Maybe you can pull a string up here? :D

If I get the Taco, it's going to to be TRD offroad, double cab, 4.0, 6-speed. That 4.0 is a peppy little motor. The 4.7 in the Tundra I drove did seem doggy. But I was presently suprised by the 4.0 in the Taco. The only complaint I have with the Taco is they don't offer a stick with the LB, only with a SB.

6. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

Titans have alot of power, but it lacks the quality of the Toyota or the Chevy for that matter.

7. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Any one else have input?

8. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

I would get the Chevy. Bigger engine, easier to work on, parts are cheap. Plus those years are very dependable. Longest lasting trucks on the road for a reason.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a Taco with the same towing capacity as a fullsize Chevy? something tells me you're reading the specs wrong, or mistaking a Taco for a Tundra. :dunno:

10. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

diehard chevy guy here but for a midsizer i would go with the taco too..basically what are you going to be doing with the truck..if any hauling i would go with silvy but if its just a dd i would go taco

edit* another thing is i think both will be reliable, silvy is at the end of its life so all major problems have been taken care of, and taco has had a good life so far with maybe 1 recall for a steering shaft or something..my grandfathers 01 silvy is running good and only thing it has been in the shop for was that wheel bearing recall or something

11. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

the new tundra makes me sick..only one i like is the red trd one at sema. still that front end is so drowsy, makes it look like a bloated whale

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think the new Toyotas are absolutely butt-ugly. I haven't seen the Chevy's yet, I was promised by a sales guy that they're changing them for '07.

So anyway, since I don't necessarily buy a truck for it's looks, I would probably go with the Tacoma for a daily driver. I'm actually looking at an '02 extended cab with a 3.4l.
    Anyone have any input on that motor?

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Another vote for the Tacoma.
    Ratch the 3.4 is a great motor.

14. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

'06 or '07 Nissan Frontier! (6-speed manual, engine based on the 350Z motor, POWER!, locking rear diff on the cheap if you get the offroad package)

If you don't want that, go for the Taco.

15. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

With the towing package, the Taco has 6500lb capacity. The Silverado with the 5.3 is also 6500lb.

The Taco is the same thing. Only difference is the hp rating. The Taco V6 is 245hp, I think the Frontier is rated around 20hp higher. I don't know the tq rating of either off the top of my head. I think that Nissan's trucks are hideous looking though.

On that note, Chevy has ruined the look of the trucks too. '06 is bearable, but the '07, well I'm not sure how to describe the way I don't like it. 95-'02 are my fav. front ends of the "new" trucks.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, I just went and checked them out. Dayum... Poor sales guy I talked to, he must be confused, cause he said 07's would look much better than the 06's.

[​IMG]

Looks like a Titan and an F150 had kids.

17. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

1 more vote for the Taco. I would get an 05 though if getting used.

Toyotas hold their resale value well and all my family who owns them have easily gotten over 200k with no major problems. One of my uncles has a 4Runner with over 300k and aside from a clutch, a few Pep Boys alternators, and normal wear and tear items being replaced over the years it runs like a champ.

I would be driving one right now had my 02 Sentra not been such a heep. I just wanted a truck and a car so I bought my K5 and a Mazda6.

The TRD package comes with a locking rear too. As for the Frontier, they dont look bad and are pretty nice but I will never own another Nissan again after owning my Sentra. 4 sets of wheel bearings with 36k on it.

18. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Wow. That approach angle looks fantastic. :rolleyes:

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Designed to approach soccer fields.

20. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

die hard chevy guy here, but would never buy a z71 just due to the fact that there ugly, made on the cheap, and the taco has the same weight ratings as the 1/2 ton chebby buy way more reliable. I run a delivery business, i have a 96 f-150, 96 tahoe, and a 99 tacoma. To me, the taco is first on reliability, the f-150 is second due to a tranny problem at 100k, and the tahoe is third considering the rearend is on its 3rd, 2nd tranny already dead, 2nd motor, and the intake leaks, ac is out and the power seat will all of a sudden jam you into the steering wheel while driving. Not to mention the taco was almost as cheap as the f-150.