Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CreepDog, Oct 10, 2002.

1. CreepDog

CreepDog Newbie

Hey All,

I put this on a different post and Im pretty sure it was in the wrong place, so here ya have it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifI'm new to the world of K5's, but my older brother has been trying to convince me to get one since I've been about 13. I am now 15, and will be trying to get one before I'm 16. He's actually got a Dodge, and for some reason he's never actually tried to convince me to get one (I'm pretty sure because as of today both axles have blown up on him)... Anyways, he thinks that it would be good if I got in contact with you all before going and getting mixed up in a rig I don't want. So, he's seen your main project Blazer at Hacket Gulch. We are in Colorado, so any suggestions on for sale rigs would be great also. By the way, what are your suggestions on years? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 73-75s are nice since they are full convertible, and 87-91 have fuel injection which is very nice. Other than that they are all pretty dang similar. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Oh yeah, whatever you do, hold out for a rust free truck. It's well worth taking a drive to another state for one. In Colorado you're close enough that you could probably go get one and be back home in 2 days.</font color>

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Same thing here, would love to have full convertable but I like the EFI better. We have always had a K5 in the driveway since before I can remember. I baught an 83 carbed and traded it for my 87 TBI then restored it. I just bought another 87 TBI to start mods on. May endup full convertable if I find a good top mod. I'm in Indiana and it get cold and we heavy amounts of snow (ruling out softops and fiberglass liftoff cowl hoods).
    You can search online, papers and auto trader mags but the best deal is finding one on the side of the road or word of mouth, for sell cheap that needs some work. Thats how I picked up my 72 mustang for $250 needed a motor rebuild but other wise not bad. Sold it for a camero and it for /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif then I got the 83 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif traded it for the 87 @ 19 and a second /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif now (25). Good luck on the hunt, Jeremiah

4. CreepDog

CreepDog Newbie

Should I buy This?

How about this a Black 4x4 4WD 1986 K5 Chevrolet Blazer (For $4,000) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

It is a 1986 K5 Blazer; AWESOME truck, 350ci crate motor, Holley 650cfm carb, headers, New Dashboard, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Cold A/C, Automatic transmission, 1 ton rearend with Detroit Locker (14 bolt), Dana 60 Front axle with Trac-lok locker, 39.5 Super swampers tires with 75% tread left, 6" Suspension lift, 3" Body lift (All professionally installed). Truck is VERY strong and Very big. Its a serious Off-Road truck but still completely Street Legal. Truck has never been 'Mudding', only used for rock crawling in North Ga. Body has no dents and paint is in good shape. This is a very well built truck. Everything is very solid. The Blazer is an good Condition. No big problems, only 2 small easy fixes; 1-slow transmission leak, still runs great and transmission is in great shape 2-the gas and oil gauge arent working -- nothing wrong with the engine, just the gauges.

What do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Should I buy This?

<font color="green"> If it's in good shape that sounds like a great deal. Find out if the axles have been regeared, if it has 39.5s on 3.73s or something it's going to be a real dog. I'd be wary of the leaky tranny too.</font color>

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

For GA with what that truck has on it if it's rust free.....that's a hell of a bargin. Only thing I don't like is the Holly.
    Fill out your Bio.
    Welcome to CK5

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

newb,

DONT LISTEN TO ANY OF EM.

get a k15 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif, do the math....thats ten better /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.
    other than that just dont get a rusty one. crawl all over it before you buy it..check the frame at the steering box. under the drivers feet(pull up the carpet and give it a good hard inspection. jack it up kick the tirs, put it in 4 lo light em up and then pay the man

Ryan

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

if the floor is solid go for it man!!

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

follow up

Just got my second blazer... $1800 with the plow
    [​IMG]
    Its real rusty on the underside. Already has a tailgate support but needs the back half bed replaced. Cab corners on the floor (where the floor steps down under the rear seat - in th normal rusty places). Fenders are OK, new inners, has an oil leak and a poping front u-joint. Future Plans plans include D44 front, 14bff w/disks rear, frame supports (maybe box them in), relocate rear shocks, 6in lift, springer shackle flip and 57" springs. Should be fun when its done... Otherwise its my winter money maker, hopefully will pay for its self and upgrades ;-&gt;
    Good luck on the hunt.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've owned 2 Blazers so far. I would recomened looking for a 72. I really liked the body style on the 72. They can be alittle hard to find, but well worth looking for. I found my 76 by placing wanted fullsize Chevy Blazer 4x4 adds on Rancher/Farmer websites free classified adds. I ended up with a 1976 K5 Blazer with little rust, and only 83,000 miles on it from the original owner. Look around, don't buy the first one you come acrost. If you find one your intrested in, feel free to ask if anyone live in that area. I'm sure a CK5 member would be happy to take a look at it for you. I know if you found one up here, I'd look at it for ya.