Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New trucks have sloppy undercarrage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SaltSlugg, Feb 7, 2003.

1. SaltSlugg

SaltSlugg Registered Member

is anyone else mad that all these new rigs have shocks and brake cables and such all hanging below the axle now...

another reason to love my '86

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I was following one of those new Chevy's with the 4 wheel steer the other day. D60 rear with so much junk hanging off it there should be a warning sticker!!

Rene

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Personally I say stick with the old trucks just put a new more dependable drivetrain in. Aka a new 350 14 bolt maybe a dana 44 and an NP205? Can't forget the NV4500. I hate the HUGE amount of frame you see on new trucks. Its like they ahve a 4" body lift from the facotry.

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Most new trucks don't get wheeled and don't need much clearance for paved roads.I like the way my frame drops down in the center,makes it simple to mount full skid plate and I may touch a few more rocks,but,the low point is the frame and not yhe crossmember hanging down.Watched a dummy tear crossmember loose while hung on rock pile,because he thought stacking a few rocks under tire was wimping out.88 SWB,SFA,HiPin D60,6 in up,38 TSLs.Been wheeled HARD since new and still going.As for dependability,that depends on how well maintained.I'm over 450,000 miles,the engine is the original.Only replaced timing assem and reg. maint.3rd clutch,orig. tranny.several axles,but,that was my fault,big tires,heavy right foot. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Pics of it in members rides.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Neither a D44 or an NP205 could be considered new.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

They are built to please the many not the few. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif