Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New/used steering box??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Apr 5, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I got a steering box that has been out in the elements for a few years. I cleaned it up and painted it. Should I flush it out or something, if yes how and with what?

2. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Just take it apart(SLOWLLY your first time) and rebuild it. It isn't hard to do and kits are only $40.

3. stallion85

Funny thing is I just rebuilt the one I have in there now. I jacked up the worm gear bearings somehow and it clicks at full right lack. This gear box has been rebuilt or at least it looks like a remanufactured one. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I just want to know if it will be ok to just hook it up without any fluid running through it in a few years? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

The seals are probly dried out and hard. You can always try it and the worst that will happen is it won't work and you will have to pull it again.

5. stallion85

Word, I will try it, it will be a pain the arse to have to pull that bad boy again. I will let you guys know. It can't be any worse than the one on there now /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif